Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 Micro SD Card Unmounting During Boot

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 unrooted mobile with a Samsung 64Gb Micro SD installed which I use mainly for music files synced via iSyncr and played using Poweramp.

It all works fine but when I have to re-start my mobile after I have turned it off the SD card is unmounting itself and I have to manually re-mount it in the storage settings. Do you know what could be causing this?

I have tried two different SD cards and even swapped my S4 for another one and I am still getting the issue. Could it be a fault with the S4 firmware? or maybe an app is causing the SD card to unmount during a boot up? Could it be iSyncr or Poweramp?

HELP!
    Thanked by:
    orion575 and chisoxfan802 like this.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Micro SD Card Unmounting During Boot

Quote Originally Posted by XRayLexx View Post
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 unrooted mobile with a Samsung 64Gb Micro SD installed which I use mainly for music files synced via iSyncr and played using Poweramp.

It all works fine but when I have to re-start my mobile after I have turned it off the SD card is unmounting itself and I have to manually re-mount it in the storage settings. Do you know what could be causing this?

I have tried two different SD cards and even swapped my S4 for another one and I am still getting the issue. Could it be a fault with the S4 firmware? or maybe an app is causing the SD card to unmount during a boot up? Could it be iSyncr or Poweramp?

HELP!
    sandisk?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

First card was a Sandisk. I've since swapped it for a Samsung SD Card. Same problem which makes me think its a hardware/app issue.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XRayLexx View Post
    First card was a Sandisk. I've since swapped it for a Samsung SD Card. Same problem which makes me think its a hardware/app issue.
    i know that have problem with 64GB sandisk

PC to extsdcard; card damaged?

Same problem here....currently on my second Sandisk 64gb card.
    Just sitting overnight booted phone and notification says "sdcard damaged..reformat".... I check settings and it is unmounted...remounted...fine.
    Ordered a Kingston and will see if that changes anything.

Another thread....many of these around:
    GS4 - SDCard unmounts and mounts everytime when unlocking phone

Let me know if you find a solution.
    Last edited by GS4Bob; 06-10-2013 at 08:53 AM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

My first was a Sandisk then I went with a Samsung. As I say both get the issue. Also the same fault on two different Galaxy S4s.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Same thing happened to me the other day! Didn't seem to make much difference but I noticed I did lose data regarding faces tagged in the stock gallery app.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

It happens to me on nearly every re-boot of my phone.
    Means I have to re-mount or I can't play my music or if I take pictures it saves them to internal storage.
    With the new firmware update coming soon I'm worried I'll be losing Apps that are installed on my SD card too.

I have mine with a Samsung 32 GB, class 10, and I don't have that problem at all. Reboot, battery pull or off/on, I never get that message.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I'm getting the same issue issue. 64gb Sandisk filled with music.

I had to register just to put in my 2cents. I am on my second Galaxy S4 , third 64GB card (both sandisk and transcend) and just had the unmount message on the replacement phone. I am also using isyncr and rocket player with about 40 gig of music. I am getting really frustrated with all of this. If I put in my old 32GB card everything is fine.

Unmounts and apparently Damaged as well. *sucks teeth LOL

SanDisk 64GB Ultra.

I guess we'll just have to live with it until Samsung releases an update.

I get it about every 1/3 to 1/2 time I reboot. I've never had good luck with Android and uSD cards, though. I suspect that it's a SD driver problem that may or may not ever be fixed.

Many threads about this issue..........I have tried both a 64gb Sandisk and Kingston and both give me the "Damaged sd card" on boot.
    I doubt it is the card but another issue with the software on the phone.
    The fix is simple....Settings>More>Storage>Mount card

Quote Originally Posted by GS4Bob View Post
    The fix is simple....Settings>More>Storage>Mount card
    On older phones it was enough of a problem that I remember installing apps that automate that.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Seems I am not alone then.
    Do Samsung have a good history on releasing fixes for this?
    I've tried to contact their useless support but the just recommend formatting my card and never get anywhere.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

That's what I do but then the GS4 searches the card for all the media and uses about 5% battery because the card is stuff with lots of music.

Just turned on my S4 and got an SDcard error. Re-started and it is fine. Probably commands getting ahead of mounting the card at startup.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Seems to be the 64gb cards! I replaced mine with a 32gb Samsung card and haven't had an error on reboot since!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My wife recently acquired the galaxy s4 since I love my galaxy note 2. I gave her my 32gb sandisk ultra mirco sd because I upgraded to the 64gb one. I initially formatted the 32gb card on my MBP and now she kept on getting the unmount message for a while until she started to take photos and a message popped up about storage for photos on an external memory. Somehow the phone recognise the mirco sd card... That lasted a week until now it decided to unmount again.

I got the same problem with an AData 32GB card on my S4 and all my pics and audio files corrupted and there is no way I can restore them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have the same issue with my S4 using a 64GB Samsung card.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Custis View Post
    I have the same issue with my S4 using a 64GB Samsung card.
    "LordAndroid" over in the GS4 ATT forum had a Sandisk with problems and replaced it with a 32gb Samsung card...solved. Yours is a 64gb Samsung...wonder why the diff?

From my 32gb GS4 via Tapatalk

My wife's S3 is doing this same thing...
    She has a 32gb PNY class 10

About every other day it pops up the SD card is damaged. I remount it and fine until it in mounts it on its own.

Its not just a S4 issue and not a Sandisk issue.

Sent from my Sprint GS4

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Micro SD Card Contents Can't be found after boot

I have also a problem with my SD card, though it is just a 64GB Kingston. The problem happens when I turn off or restart my phone. I started to notice it when one of the apps I downloaded and decided to save in SD card (after the useful firmware update of at least allowing saving apps to an SD card) becomes useless and could not be opened or read or simply "not installed" in my device anymore. So I tried to restart the phone thinking it was caused maybe by turning it off and could still be solved by restarting the device. To my surprise, I even got 4 apps uninstalled. And what's worse now is even the gallery where all pictures saved in SD card is not also showing. No more pictures that I have saved there could be seen in any corner of the gallery except when you try to locate them through my file folder. But alas, still I can't make the sd gallery come back and be with the other gallery folders that I have. Due to frustration, I tried another solution by taking a picture since saving setting is still under SD card. I was able to save a picture but it would take time to access the gallery, BUT STILL other pictures saved in SD card are not showing, except the latest ones. So I believe this is cause by some OS update. I am really frustrated that a 64gb SD card would still be useless after some updates from the maker. 16gb internal memory is not enough for games and other files so, to Samsung people, will you please try to find solutions to this problem and please release an update when fixing becomes possible.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast