Galaxy S4 Micro SD Card Unmounting During Boot

XRayLexx

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 unrooted mobile with a Samsung 64Gb Micro SD installed which I use mainly for music files synced via iSyncr and played using Poweramp.

It all works fine but when I have to re-start my mobile after I have turned it off the SD card is unmounting itself and I have to manually re-mount it in the storage settings. Do you know what could be causing this?

I have tried two different SD cards and even swapped my S4 for another one and I am still getting the issue. Could it be a fault with the S4 firmware? or maybe an app is causing the SD card to unmount during a boot up? Could it be iSyncr or Poweramp?

HELP!

S4user

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 unrooted mobile with a Samsung 64Gb Micro SD installed which I use mainly for music files synced via iSyncr and played using Poweramp.

It all works fine but when I have to re-start my mobile after I have turned it off the SD card is unmounting itself and I have to manually re-mount it in the storage settings. Do you know what could be causing this?

I have tried two different SD cards and even swapped my S4 for another one and I am still getting the issue. Could it be a fault with the S4 firmware? or maybe an app is causing the SD card to unmount during a boot up? Could it be iSyncr or Poweramp?

HELP!

sandisk?

XRayLexx

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
First card was a Sandisk. I've since swapped it for a Samsung SD Card. Same problem which makes me think its a hardware/app issue.

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/287158-pc-extsdcard-card-damaged.html

Same problem here....currently on my second Sandisk 64gb card.
Just sitting overnight booted phone and notification says "sdcard damaged..reformat".... I check settings and it is unmounted...remounted...fine.
Ordered a Kingston and will see if that changes anything.

Another thread....many of these around:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ts-mounts-everytime-when-unlocking-phone.html

Let me know if you find a solution.

Last edited:

Craigyc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me the other day! Didn't seem to make much difference but I noticed I did lose data regarding faces tagged in the stock gallery app.

XRayLexx

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
It happens to me on nearly every re-boot of my phone.
Means I have to re-mount or I can't play my music or if I take pictures it saves them to internal storage.
With the new firmware update coming soon I'm worried I'll be losing Apps that are installed on my SD card too.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have mine with a Samsung 32 GB, class 10, and I don't have that problem at all. Reboot, battery pull or off/on, I never get that message.

chisoxfan802

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I had to register just to put in my 2cents. I am on my second Galaxy S4 , third 64GB card (both sandisk and transcend) and just had the unmount message on the replacement phone. I am also using isyncr and rocket player with about 40 gig of music. I am getting really frustrated with all of this. If I put in my old 32GB card everything is fine.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Unmounts and apparently Damaged as well. *sucks teeth LOL

SanDisk 64GB Ultra.

I guess we'll just have to live with it until Samsung releases an update.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I get it about every 1/3 to 1/2 time I reboot. I've never had good luck with Android and uSD cards, though. I suspect that it's a SD driver problem that may or may not ever be fixed.

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Many threads about this issue..........I have tried both a 64gb Sandisk and Kingston and both give me the "Damaged sd card" on boot.
I doubt it is the card but another issue with the software on the phone.
The fix is simple....Settings>More>Storage>Mount card

XRayLexx

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Seems I am not alone then.
Do Samsung have a good history on releasing fixes for this?
I've tried to contact their useless support but the just recommend formatting my card and never get anywhere.

XRayLexx

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
That's what I do but then the GS4 searches the card for all the media and uses about 5% battery because the card is stuff with lots of music.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Just turned on my S4 and got an SDcard error. Re-started and it is fine. Probably commands getting ahead of mounting the card at startup.

Craigyc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be the 64gb cards! I replaced mine with a 32gb Samsung card and haven't had an error on reboot since!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Kral86

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
My wife recently acquired the galaxy s4 since I love my galaxy note 2. I gave her my 32gb sandisk ultra mirco sd because I upgraded to the 64gb one. I initially formatted the 32gb card on my MBP and now she kept on getting the unmount message for a while until she started to take photos and a message popped up about storage for photos on an external memory. Somehow the phone recognise the mirco sd card... That lasted a week until now it decided to unmount again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz