Galaxy S4 Micro SD Card Unmounting During Boot

Glenn Soltes

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Mediaserver has never corrupted pics, but MP3 are almost guaranteed to get corrupted by mediaserver.

You may want to check your card reader .... only relatively new ones can read 64GB microSD cards. Inserting even once in a unsupported reader will corrupt.

Also, format fat32 ...... exFAT support is very dodgy on the S3 and S4.

Lars Panzerbjrn

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Annoyingly, I have the same problem. Sometimes the card is unmounted on boot, sometimes it it isn't, but it will unmount later.

The card worked fine in my S3 and S3 Mini, but it does this in my S4 Active and then in my S4 Mini.
This seems to indicate that it isn't the card that's at fault.

I also got a new card, which does exactly the same.

I have also factory reset, formatted the cards in the phone and done both one after the other. Still no dice...

Last edited:

Gursharan Singh2

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 unrooted mobile with a Samsung 64Gb Micro SD installed which I use mainly for music files synced via iSyncr and played using Poweramp.

It all works fine but when I have to re-start my mobile after I have turned it off the SD card is unmounting itself and I have to manually re-mount it in the storage settings. Do you know what could be causing this?

I have tried two different SD cards and even swapped my S4 for another one and I am still getting the issue. Could it be a fault with the S4 firmware? or maybe an app is causing the SD card to unmount during a boot up? Could it be iSyncr or Poweramp?

HELP!

ANSWER......

I found no solutions to my
satisfaction since my card wasn't faulty and I didn't
want to reformat. I will explain what worked for me
and what I hope will work for you.
1. Go to settings and press on Storage.
2. Then press Unmount SD Card. Allow the phone to
process.
3. After it finishes making it safe to remove, open
your case and remove the SD Card from the Slot.
4. Reinsert your SD Card in the Slot.
5. Restart your phone. Use phone as normal and
see if problem is solved.

IF it still not work. format it after the process above. it will be working properly. :)

z00mflight

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I used steps 1 through 5, no need for formatting, and IT WORKED!!! THANKS!!!

Using T-mobile's Galaxy S5 M919 with a 64GB microSDXC class 10

einrazer

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My problem is that every time it unmounts it also is unable to read anything after I attempt to remount it and requires me to reformat everything. It is so frustrating and I lose everything picture wise. I have no room left on the main memory and I am annoyed as can be.

The sd card I am using is a Samsung 64 gb micro sd. I believe it was imported.