802.11 ac is coming soon

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I did not see the s4 mentioned. this is neat. Is the s4 compatible? I could use this for my house. Lots of stuff hitting my router.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

thehatguy

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Third paragraph:

The Wi-Fi Alliance, a global organization that ensures the interoperability of Wi-Fi technologies, began certifying so-called "ac" devices Wednesday. It kicked off the certification program by signing off on 19 routers, access points, microchips and smartphones. The shortlist of certified devices includes the Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and routers from Cisco (CSCO, Fortune 500) and Netgear (NTGR).

John

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The main thing people need to understand before getting too excited is that this technology is NOT going to improve Internet speeds for most people. In almost all situations, the slowest link on any network is the Internet gateway, so even if all your devices are "gigabit" rated, that only represents the speed of data transmission from your device to your router; the rate at which your router is able to send and receive data from the outside (the Internet), will still be dependent on the bandwidth available to your from your ISP, any downstream routers (hops), and the remote server you are connecting to.

What this will do (hopefully) is provide a very fast and reliable INTERNAL network or LAN. At gigabit speeds, wireless file transfers on your wifi network would be potentially much faster, quality and reliability of streaming local content from a media server would improve, and things of that nature, but if you were trying to download a 1GB file from the Internet, for example, it probably wouldn't make any difference, unless your current wifi network has a poor signal or encounters a high amount of interference (but that's a separate issue altogether).

So this new wifi technology could make streaming video from my NAS much more reliable, plus wireless syncing of files on my phone or tablet to my PC would improve too, but my Roku isn't going to stream Netflix with any higher quality because it still has to retrieve that stream from the Internet.

Last edited:

thehatguy

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
So this new wifi technology could make streaming video from my NAS much more reliable, plus wireless syncing of files on my phone or tablet to my PC would improve too, but my Roku isn't going to stream Netflix with any higher quality because it still has to retrieve that stream from the Internet.

Exactly.

John

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The main thing people need to understand before getting too excited is that this technology is NOT going to improve Internet speeds for most people. In almost all situations, the slowest link on any network is the Internet gateway, so even if all your devices are "gigabit" rated, that only represents the speed of data transmission from your device to your router; the rate at which your router is able to send and receive data from the outside (the Internet), will still be dependent on the bandwidth available to your from your ISP, any downstream routers (hops), and the remote server you are connecting to.

What this will do (hopefully) is provide a very fast and reliable INTERNAL network or LAN. At gigabit speeds, wireless file transfers on your wifi network would be potentially much faster, quality and reliability of streaming local content from a media server would improve, and things of that nature, but if you were trying to download a 1GB file from the Internet, for example, it probably wouldn't make any difference, unless your current wifi network has a poor signal or encounters a high amount of interference (but that's a separate issue altogether).

Good info. I have 75mpbs FiOS and could go higher if this would help my roku, apple tvs and a bunch of other devices connect and not affect my download speeds. I get about 30- 40 mbps when doing a speed test on wifi with my n router on 2.4 band but do get 75 or higher if I do a speed test on my desktop.

And of course I would need a new macbook air!!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I did not see the s4 mentioned. this is neat. Is the s4 compatible? I could use this for my house. Lots of stuff hitting my router.

Third paragraph:

The Wi-Fi Alliance, a global organization that ensures the interoperability of Wi-Fi technologies, began certifying so-called "ac" devices Wednesday. It kicked off the certification program by signing off on 19 routers, access points, microchips and smartphones. The shortlist of certified devices includes the Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and routers from Cisco (CSCO, Fortune 500) and Netgear (NTGR).

John

Most new phones (like the S4 and the HTC One) have the AC standard supported for Wifi.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Which one are you looking at? I see the apple airport extreme is 200.

If you need any custom port forwarding I wouldn't get an airport extreme, unless you are on a Mac and want to attached a harddrive for time capsule.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Good info. I have 75mpbs FiOS and could go higher if this would help my roku, apple tvs and a bunch of other devices connect and not affect my download speeds. I get about 30- 40 mbps when doing a speed test on wifi with my n router on 2.4 band but do get 75 or higher if I do a speed test on my desktop.

And of course I would need a new macbook air!!!

Well, if you're currently using a standard 802.11g wifi (which is 54mb/s) then you may actually be able to benefit from an upgrade, but only if your devices support the new technology as well as the router. The problem is that your Roku, Apple TV, etc, most likely do not. I'm sure future versions will eventually, but at the moment you're probably stuck with 802.11g speeds on your wifi LAN with these devices.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Thank god I have a Xbox 360 kinect version with N...makes two devices in my house that can use it

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you're currently using a standard 802.11g wifi (which is 54mb/s) then you may actually be able to benefit from an upgrade, but only if your devices support the new technology as well as the router. The problem is that your Roku, Apple TV, etc, most likely do not. I'm sure future versions will eventually, but at the moment you're probably stuck with 802.11g speeds on your wifi LAN with these devices.

802.11g is lucky to get 30 percent of its throughput. Both the latest Roku and Apple TV uses dual band N wireless. It will benefit from the extra throughput from the 5ghz channel.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Good post for the most part. I have never had good luck streaming HD content from a NAS device. The transfer rates on most NAS devices are extremely slow.

- - - Updated - - -

802.11g is lucky to get 30 percent of its throughput. Both the latest Roku and Apple TV uses dual band N wireless. It will benefit from the extra throughput from the 5ghz channel.

The Roku doesnt even support gigabit.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Currently using a N dual band router, so speeds are pretty good. So I guess at this point the S4 would use the AC but not my other gear...I guess I will hold until more gear can use the AC standard. Is this something that can be a firmware upgrade or only hardware upgrade? I mean like the roku and apple tv etc?

scoutbb

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I was curious on how to activate the AC Wifi Option in the S4, my router is has the AC Protocol and it would be nice to test the connectivity.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Good post for the most part. I have never had good luck streaming HD content from a NAS device. The transfer rates on most NAS devices are extremely slow.
I have had a NAS server for years and had zero issues streaming 1080p content.

The Roku doesnt even support gigabit.

Can you tell me outside of 2 cities in the United States where else is a gigabit connection or a provider that is going to stream at a gigabit connection?
Providers like Netflix have a cap on outgoing bandwidth on a per stream basis so they can manage their network connections better and not allow one user to unbalance their bandwidth load.

The new one has a 5ghz wifi connection. Also the average internet speed in the United States is 1mbps.