Confused! Please Help

Ra222r

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I set up my and a friends email on our S4's and we both use the same POP server.

When I read an email on my S4 it still shows unread in Outlook on my PC, however when he reads a mail on his phone it marks it as read in Outlook on his PC.

We both have Outlook 2010 and syncing enabled on our phones. Why is mine not working/syncing?

Your help would greatly be appreciated.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Accounts in Outlook and Gmail etc on POP3 have various settings. I don't recall what else there might be but one relevant one is "leave a copy of messages on the server." I presume you have that checked? That might make it treat it as "new" on the next device. As I recall there is another setting somewhere, but I just don't remember what. I'm doing everything by iMap these days. Poke around in account settings, you'll likely find something.

Ra222r

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the reply ;-)

I tried unchecking that option as mentioned but unfortunately it's still not working. Any other ideas?

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
No idea why the difference, but I suggest switching the phones to IMAP. Most servers support both, and when syncing with multiple clients IMAP does a better job. POP3 was never meant for syncing. It is older protocol designed for downloading.

Unfortunately the default is POP3 so you have to do the manual setup to go IMAP.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Ra222r

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
No idea why the difference, but I suggest switching the phones to IMAP. Most servers support both, and when syncing with multiple clients IMAP does a better job. POP3 was never meant for syncing. It is older protocol designed for downloading.

Unfortunately the default is POP3 so you have to do the manual setup to go IMAP.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

So when I do the changeover do I need to change it on all my devices to IMAP? And should i make backups of my .pst files?

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The way I am set up is that on my PC I leave things as POP3. Mostly because I do want to delete emails from the server when I download them to the PC. But I use IMAP on my phone and tablet because I only want to see mail that has not yet been downloaded. If you want to leave mail on the server so it is accessible on all devices, then yes switch the PC to IMAP as well (assuming it is now POP3 and not Exchange). IMAP gives you a lot more features, such as multiple folder management and better tracking of email. But you have to be conscious of server quota. You may have limited space on the server. So if you go to IMAP, at some point you probably need to start archiving old mail that you want to keep.

You also said you are using Outlook on the PC. Is that with a POP3 connection now or an exchange connection? Don't change to pop3 or imap if its an exchange connection as thats the best of all worlds.

As for backup, when in doubt, back it up :).