Serious lag when playing games

thegronz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Dear friends,

I have really bad lag when playing games on my S4, are there any settings to make it work better?

Even games that are really small in size and light lag a lot, like Scramble With Friends. I had the same game on my iPhone 4s and it was smooth.

Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

s4user1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Do u have the latest firmware ?
I heard that it fixed these kind of problems.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app

chicagocouch

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I started having lags on Ravensword Shadowlands as I got further into the game. Really...it only lags when I hit pause to change up weapons...and I think I'm just impatient. But I have noticed that even though the GS4 is considered the "best" (whatever that might entail) gaming system on a phone...it's still a phone with the standard weakness of ALL Android OS phones: unless you are making a mighty effort to ensure that all a o s are shut off or disabled while gaming...the system keeps leaching power to keep redundant apps running in the background. So check that out first...and then make sure you don't have your ohone loaded to the max with apps. When I've had only 1gb left for storage, I've always noticed a lag.
And then there's the issue that no matter what we believe...it's still a phone that plays games...not the other way around, right?
I don't know...maybe this helps or doesn't...but happy gameplay to you, nonetheless!! :)

thegronz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll check it out. Thanks for the info. I love the S4, just can't wait for an update that really makes it perfect.

Posted via Android Central App

chicagocouch

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
You know....I'm also noticing that I omly seem to have (at best) 800 mb...and usually only 500 or so. The UI really eats up memory.. But then...I also have a lot of stuff still Enabled. I suppose if I didn't have useless apps like Flipbook running (I mean seriously? The app has news that's usually a couple days old!), then I'd probably have more to use.
Just another in a laundry list of issues that cause lag... *sigh*

But I love my S4 as well...and I better. I've been through 6 phones in 2 years...and I had the S3 for almost a year. I can say that I'm not gettong a new phone for some time. (But ya never know!) ;-)

BallGum

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's all about how Android manages memory and background processes.
It uses the idea that empty RAM is wasted RAM and so it fills RAM up as much as possible with all your recent apps.

What does this mean for the end user? Your apps load up fast, and you aren't wasting battery power by constantly loading apps up from the internal memory, or clearing RAM.
More proof of this is the fact that the Nexus 5 runs android KitKat (uses less RAM) and comes with 2GB RAM and still has the occasional frame drop.
So I don't think the problem lies with RAM.

What is more important are background system / app processes. These DO waste CPU cycles, but in most cases only result in the occasional dropped frame. It shouldn't cause major lag.

I'd say the best thing is to reboot your phone a few times, and check if you have any intensive background apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez