Moving app to SD Card in Galaxy S4 is no 100% true

SSCC25

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi to all, I have the Galaxy S2 2 years ago and now have the Galaxy S4, In the Galaxy S2 when you move an App to SD card you see a notable diference in the storage capacity of the device before move the App and after do that. In Galaxy S4 when I move an App that have 1,85 GB (Need for speed Most Wanted) only 35 MB is moved to SD Card. With other apps is the same, for example Temple Run 2 only move 25 KB and the game is 37,5 MB.
Maybe is normal but if is normal it no solve the 8GB available space y S4

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi to all, I have the Galaxy S2 2 years ago and now have the Galaxy S4, In the Galaxy S2 when you move an App to SD card you see a notable diference in the storage capacity of the device before move the App and after do that. In Galaxy S4 when I move an App that have 1,85 GB (Need for speed Most Wanted) only 35 MB is moved to SD Card. With other apps is the same, for example Temple Run 2 only move 25 KB and the game is 37,5 MB.
You won't see the entire app moved to the sd card. This is a protective measure to fight piracy and often times certain aspecs of the app need to be located on the internal sd card to prevent it from crashing if the external sd card is removed.

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Have to disagree here. I have the S4 and Temple Run... I moved to SD Card and the total game is 26.53mb, 1.12mb on the device and 25.41 on the SD card.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
There are two issues at play here, first Google got rid of the apps2sd feature in ICS since it was "too confusing" for users, not sure who those confused individuals were but perhaps they need a kiddie phone like something apple offers. Second, since the first thing I mentioned happened you now have developers no longer supporting external sd cards and hence no reason to support moving the app data to the sd cards like some did/didn't in the past. What they should be doing is setting up the app to see if a device has external memory and offer the option to put the app data on there.

Samsung I feel will continue to support microSD even in the face of other OEM's failure to do so, yes LG I am looking at you. The fact they chose NOT to support microSD and/or a removable battery on the G2 was reason enough for me to disregard the device (that and their UX is the ugliest) on the market.

sabrewulf1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
A gamers perspective:

Nova 3 1.85 gig ... 325mg on sd card.. not good enough.. uninstalled and refunded

Chaos rings over 1gb ... nothing on sd card.. cant move it... uninstalled and refunded

Nfsmw .. 2gb .... 1.94 gig on sd card ... kept on sd card and played regular

Galaxy on fire 2 ... 1.3gb... 354mg sd card.... uninstalled and refunded

Dead space : 378mb .... 367mb sd card... kept... played regular

Spotting the pattern here ?

Gamers will win in the end....... phone companies should not underestimate the changing face of gaming in the biggest shake up of gaming history. They also dont want to miss out on it.

Google got it. Thats why the android market is now called google play. Its not films or books that make the cash... its games. Single games have 50 million plus downloads

Thats why devs need to listen and program in sd data transferral... and stop being up their own arses about bad cards or not class 10 blah blah
Do you want to maximise your profits ?

Most ppl have contract phones
Most of them are 16gb basic models
Most of them want games on sd cards
Most wont buy unless it goes to sd card

Fact!

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Most ppl have contract phones

True in the US, false globally.

Most of them are 16gb basic models

Not sure, stats?

Most of them want games on sd cards

False. Most consumers wouldn't know how to move the app/game if they could do it. Most apps are ineligible.

Most wont buy unless it goes to sd card

False. This has been a non issue for almost 2 years. Many devs create apps cross platform and most of the actual purchases are on iOS. There are no SD cards there. The next best selling device has an SD card, but has had app2SD disabled for nearly two years. That didn't hinder sales. The three best devices released (or to be released) in 2013 do not have SD cards at all. Those customers are still buying games.

Gamers will win in the end.

Serious gamers are not switching to their phones for the best/biggest games, they're turning to tablets or dedicated devices. A Nexus 10 is 38% cheaper than a Galaxy S4 is and has 4.9 times as much screen real estate.

Vocal tech blog commentors are not representative of "most" consumers by any means. Estimate their impact as approximately 1% of the mainstream and you're giving them too much credit. The average consumer is the little old lady calling Best Buy to find out how to get their photos to be printed at the local pharmacy.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The simple answer is MORE internal storage 64GB needs to be the minimum and ditch these retail prices of $699 for a Droid Maxx 32GB 720p display what a crappy mickey mouse phone and yet I bet the new G2 rings in at $699 or higher based on 32GB and 1080p. I see an issue here. But in the US unlike global markets the US carriers dictate what gets on the network overseas you can get any unlocked phone and roll with it, not here. Notice how the international LTE phones do not have US LTE on them, its not coincidence.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12