Custom ROM flash problems - stuck in boot recovery mode after reboot

Chris Hester

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, So I have been trying to flash a custom ROM onto my S4. I have tried a number of different ROMs but keeping hitting the same problem. Whenever I reboot the device it loads back to boot recovery mode and whatever I do I cannot get past it. I have wiped caches, davlik code etc. I have read numerous posts and followed instructions but I keep getting the same issue. I have posted on XDA but no one seems to be replying to me. I don't know if I am just being an ***** and cannot find the correct thread with an answer already in it but if someone could help me I would be exceptionally grateful.

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:

Chris Hester

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I dont know if I am being stupid and cannot find the correct thread for my question. If so can someone forgive my ignorance and point me in the right direction. If I am not being stupid can someone please give me some idea as to what I need to do to rectify my problem. Its been nearly a week since my post and I have only had one response (thankyou HPferox) but it has not resolved my problem. I would really appreciate some help here

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
What s4 are you using and what firmware is it on.
You're wiping the data before flashing right and not after?
They're probably not responding because you didn't give enough data. Or posted in the wrong spot.
Whats your phone and firmware?
Whats your recovery?
What Rom are you trying to load?
Do you have a nandroid backup and can you restore your backup?
When loading the Rom is finished are there any errors in the log?
Are you downloading the roms from the Internet to your phone or to your pc first.
Where are you getting the Rom, is it from 'your carriers style' of phone section from xda?

Right now your question = I have a pain and took some stuff, why isn't it working.

Posted via Android Central App

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, give some information if you want help. First and foremost, what carrier/device are you using...there are quite a few different Galaxy S4 versions and helping you pretty much requires us to know which one you have.

Also, it sounds like you didn't do enough research before attempting complicated changes to your phone and now you're right where you should expect to be.

Answer the questions above and you might get some help, even though I would bet anything there are 100 people before you who had the exact same problem and the answer you're looking for could be found instantly by searching these (and XDA) forums.

Chris Hester

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi and thankyou for the repsponse. I apologise for the lack of information I have provided.

I am using a S4 GT i9505 version 4.2.2. I am on 3 network.
I have unlocked my phone to all networks. I have enabled usb debugging. I have rooted my phone using CF auto root flash via odin.
I have used online nandroid backup and backup manager to save all apps etc. I then flashed openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-jfltexx - i have also used i9505-cwm-recovery-6.0.3.2-5
I the clicked advanced wipe and selected ?Dalvik Cache?, ?System?, and ?Cache?.
I then attempted to flash my ROM - the below ROMS are an example of what I have tried.
I9505_-_Google_Edition_Final-v1_by_Jamal2367
CanGalaxyS4ROMv3ByAkashRt
Pure-Google-pre-rooted-4.3-v2.1
i9505 stock
I have had no issue flashing the stock zip.
I have downloaded all ROMS to my PC
This is the most recent ROM I tried to install using the following thread - [ROM][Official][4.3][PA3.95][AOKP][CM10.2]P.A.C True All in 1 ROM[NIGHTLIES] - xda-developers
and - ►►[AOSP] 4.2.2 - S4 Google Edition - Final-v1 - Feel the Experience of Nexus◄◄ - xda-developers
I did initially get an error where the certificate verification failed. It did this with each ROM I tried. Each time this happened I went back to stock firmware, followed the above steps and tried again. When I searched for this the answer I found was to disable certificate verification which I did. Then when I flashed a custom ROM and I watched the changelog I received no errors and once. The ROMS said they had installed.
I then wiped the davlik cache again and rebooted.
Upon reboot my phone would load itself back into recovery mode. I cannot get past this.

My phone is by no means in a bad way. I have always managed to flash the stock firmware back onto my device using odin and get it back to its initial state without any hiccups. I had my S4 for three months before I decided to do this. I spent a long time reading various threads to find out the best way to root my phone and install custom ROMS and the reason for this was because I did not want to do anything rash or potentially brick my device. By no means did I rush into this, after evaluating the situation I decided that the benefits of attempting to do this far outweighed the potentially and seemingly minimal consequences. As I said my phone is more than ok, I am just confused as to why I cannot get past the recovery screen.

If there is an answer out there on another thread my inability to be find it has not been through a lack of trying. I have spent the last month trying to find the answer to my problem before I eventually decided to post in here myself.

This is an example of the thread I have followed to flash custom ROMS - DroidViews | How to Install Custom ROMs on Samsung Galaxy S4 [All Models]

Thankyou for your help.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi and thankyou for the repsponse. I apologise for the lack of information I have provided.

I am using a S4 GT i9505 version 4.2.2. I am on 3 network.
I have unlocked my phone to all networks. I have enabled usb debugging. I have rooted my phone using CF auto root flash via odin.
I have used online nandroid backup and backup manager to save all apps etc. I then flashed openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-jfltexx - i have also used i9505-cwm-recovery-6.0.3.2-5
I the clicked advanced wipe and selected ?Dalvik Cache?, ?System?, and ?Cache?.
I then attempted to flash my ROM - the below ROMS are an example of what I have tried.
I9505_-_Google_Edition_Final-v1_by_Jamal2367
CanGalaxyS4ROMv3ByAkashRt
Pure-Google-pre-rooted-4.3-v2.1
i9505 stock
I have had no issue flashing the stock zip.
I have downloaded all ROMS to my PC
This is the most recent ROM I tried to install using the following thread - [ROM][Official][4.3][PA3.95][AOKP][CM10.2]P.A.C True All in 1 ROM[NIGHTLIES] - xda-developers
and - ►►[AOSP] 4.2.2 - S4 Google Edition - Final-v1 - Feel the Experience of Nexus◄◄ - xda-developers
I did initially get an error where the certificate verification failed. It did this with each ROM I tried. Each time this happened I went back to stock firmware, followed the above steps and tried again. When I searched for this the answer I found was to disable certificate verification which I did. Then when I flashed a custom ROM and I watched the changelog I received no errors and once. The ROMS said they had installed.
I then wiped the davlik cache again and rebooted.
Upon reboot my phone would load itself back into recovery mode. I cannot get past this.

My phone is by no means in a bad way. I have always managed to flash the stock firmware back onto my device using odin and get it back to its initial state without any hiccups. I had my S4 for three months before I decided to do this. I spent a long time reading various threads to find out the best way to root my phone and install custom ROMS and the reason for this was because I did not want to do anything rash or potentially brick my device. By no means did I rush into this, after evaluating the situation I decided that the benefits of attempting to do this far outweighed the potentially and seemingly minimal consequences. As I said my phone is more than ok, I am just confused as to why I cannot get past the recovery screen.

If there is an answer out there on another thread my inability to be find it has not been through a lack of trying. I have spent the last month trying to find the answer to my problem before I eventually decided to post in here myself.

This is an example of the thread I have followed to flash custom ROMS - DroidViews | How to Install Custom ROMs on Samsung Galaxy S4 [All Models]

Thankyou for your help.

I wish I could help you further but I do not have the same S4 as you and would have to research it myself to provide advice.

I suggest you get your help/advice/research done at XDA. That's the only source you need when it comes to rooting and custom ROMs. I'm sure they have detailed/specific/excellent guides in the forum dedicated to your device. DroidViews is not a site I am familiar with and I would never recommend any guide labelled "All Models" as you're just asking for trouble. I do not meant to redirect you away from AndroidCentral, which is an amazing community for Android, but it's not one focused on rooting and custom ROMs like XDA is.

Best of luck and keep reading and learning so you can get yourself an awesome custom ROM!

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm with jeffreii on everything that he just stated.
I'm not familiar with that s4 either.
Research your software version build number on XDA and make sure your even able to put on a custom Rom.
Search for and Flash twrp 2.5.0.2.
2.6 can be buggy on the s4, it doesn't like me at all.
Make sure you're downloading the roms to your pc from Internet, checking md5's. I even check md5 after putting it on the ExtSd card.

Posted via Android Central App

Rizwan Ul Haq

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
i m stuck in boot recovery mode as i deleted my rom and now i want a rom so that my htc evo 3d could start again plz plz send a link to download a custom rom ............ i made a real caos with my phone