Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 55
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #26  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    My problem is similar. Much of the time my Android phone does connect to wifi from Virtual Router. But it never lasts very long. All of a sudden the phone is "connected" but there is no internet coming thru the wifi. All I can do is turn off Virtual routher, turn off phone wifi, then turn them both back on and it will connect again (usually) but yesterday none of this worked. I can't set up wifi with Windows method Ad Hoc, since Android will not see Ad Hoc wifi.. I've been nervous about changing router (Westell from Verizon) settings, but could that be a solution?

    STOP USING VIRTUAL ROUTER! It's SIMPLE! Spend 30 bucks get yourself a cheap Wireless G or N router and your problems will be solved! What is with everyone using this virtual router crap and then wondering why their stuff doesn't work???
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Greetings! I'm brand new to this website and I hope you don't mind me asking a question. I have searched through the forums and read the responses but so far my particular problem has not been directly answered. Here's my problem...my Samsung Galaxie S4 does not show 'connect' when I type in my password for home WIFI. For months the phone worked fine on my home WIFI but yesterday it would not connect. I typed in the password again and again but the 'connect' button is greyed out. I have rebooted my buffalo router many times. This same problem exists with all password required WIFI. I can get on WIFI that does not require passwords (if I already have that system in my phone memory) but not if a password is required. Any thoughts? I sincerely appreciate your help.
  3. #28  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    STOP USING VIRTUAL ROUTER! It's SIMPLE! Spend 30 bucks get yourself a cheap Wireless G or N router and your problems will be solved! What is with everyone using this virtual router crap and then wondering why their stuff doesn't work???
    I will take your advice if you can tell me whether this will work for me: I have Verizon DSL on the PC. Can I replace the modem VZ gave me with one you recommend? I admit I know little or nothing about all the different kinds of routers, etc. When Virtual Router Plus works, it works fine
  4. #29  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    I will take your advice if you can tell me whether this will work for me: I have Verizon DSL on the PC. Can I replace the modem VZ gave me with one you recommend? I admit I know little or nothing about all the different kinds of routers, etc. When Virtual Router Plus works, it works fine
    No, that is your modem, you just need a wireless router. You keep what modem Verizon gave you and you hook up a router to it. Go to a Best Buy and ask them for help they will tell you exactly what you need. I highly recommend NetGear or DLink for routers. DO NOT GET LINKSYS! Every since they were bought out by Cisco they have SUCKED
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
    Thanked by:
  5. #30  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    No, that is your modem, you just need a wireless router. You keep what modem Verizon gave you and you hook up a router to it. Go to a Best Buy and ask them for help they will tell you exactly what you need. I highly recommend NetGear or DLink for routers. DO NOT GET LINKSYS! Every since they were bought out by Cisco they have SUCKED
    Thanks. I did some web searching and found I could buy a DSL/Wireless router for Verizon, all in one device, correct? Example: Actiontec 300 Mbps Wireless-N DSL Modem Router (GT784WN). Amazon.com: Actiontec 300 Mbps Wireless-N DSL Modem Router (GT784WN): Electronics
  6. #31  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    Thanks. I did some web searching and found I could buy a DSL/Wireless router for Verizon, all in one device, correct? Example: Actiontec 300 Mbps Wireless-N DSL Modem Router (GT784WN). Amazon.com: Actiontec 300 Mbps Wireless-N DSL Modem Router (GT784WN): Electronics
    Sure if you want to, that's your call. I would call Verizon in your area first and make sure that make and model is supported by them 100%
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  7. #32  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    Sure if you want to, that's your call. I would call Verizon in your area first and make sure that make and model is supported by them 100%
    I called Vzw about a combo modem/router and they are sending it. Definitely worth $35 if the wifi works all the time. Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes.
  8. #33  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    I called Vzw about a combo modem/router and they are sending it. Definitely worth $35 if the wifi works all the time. Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes.
    I am sure this will solve your issue. This "Virtual Router" crap seems to cause a virtual headache. Let us know if that fixes the issue once you get it and hook everything up
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    I have to agree... Use a real router.. Not a fake virtual one. It is most likely the issue.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  10. #35  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I have to agree... Use a real router.. Not a fake virtual one. It is most likely the issue.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Well the Virtual Router Plus does work fine if Windows would let it stay enabled. Very annoying

    My report will be delayed: Verizon sent me a wifi adapter instead of the modem/router.....of course. I should get the right thing in a couple days
  11. #36  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    First of all, I have to admit I was pretty ignorant about wifi. I never knew I could have requested a modem/router from Verizon from the beginning and save myself a lot of trouble. Setting this up was pretty easy. Now I have wifi all the time. So thanks to mhinc for the advice. The only question I have is how can I change the wifi password? I was able to log into the router to change the SSID, but I saw no way to change the password...?

    I must also admit that Verizon came across extremely well in this situation. When I contacted them by chat to say I had been sent a wifi adapter instead of the router, the person immediately sent me the right device...and I haven't been charged for any of this. Also, it arrived the next day...so I hate Verizon a little less right now
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    What is with everyone using this virtual router crap and then wondering why their stuff doesn't work???
    Agreed 100%. However, the object in this day and age appears to be a lot of "anonymity" on the web for some folks, and they are sold on the idea of "hey...use this." LOL!
  13. #38  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    First of all, I have to admit I was pretty ignorant about wifi. I never knew I could have requested a modem/router from Verizon from the beginning and save myself a lot of trouble. Setting this up was pretty easy. Now I have wifi all the time. So thanks to mhinc for the advice. The only question I have is how can I change the wifi password? I was able to log into the router to change the SSID, but I saw no way to change the password...?

    I must also admit that Verizon came across extremely well in this situation. When I contacted them by chat to say I had been sent a wifi adapter instead of the router, the person immediately sent me the right device...and I haven't been charged for any of this. Also, it arrived the next day...so I hate Verizon a little less right now
    First I apologize for taking so long to reply, I have a good reason I fell through a large hole and broke my left leg in 3 places Tibea twice and Fibea once on the 30th. Just got out of the hospital last night.
    Every router config page is different mahler9. But 9 times out of 10 you will find the wireless password on the same page as the SSID just usually further down, but to a novice it can be confusing.
    Usually most routers wireless encryption are set to "WPA2-PSK [AES]" Then below that selection you should have the option to choose a "Pass Phrase" this can be anything your heart desires.
    8-63 characters. It may be blocked out with stars, and even have a check box to SHOW PASSCODE or PHRASE.
    You want to change that to something you prefer and then click SAVE SETTINGS or OK or whatever option you have to save what you have done.
    Hope that helps. If not I am sure if you gave Verizon a quick shout they could tell you exactly where that is and how to get to it.
    Please let me know if that all worked out for you
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  14. #39  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    First I apologize for taking so long to reply, I have a good reason I fell through a large hole and broke my left leg in 3 places Tibea twice and Fibea once on the 30th. Just got out of the hospital last night.
    Every router config page is different mahler9. But 9 times out of 10 you will find the wireless password on the same page as the SSID just usually further down, but to a novice it can be confusing.
    Usually most routers wireless encryption are set to "WPA2-PSK [AES]" Then below that selection you should have the option to choose a "Pass Phrase" this can be anything your heart desires.
    8-63 characters. It may be blocked out with stars, and even have a check box to SHOW PASSCODE or PHRASE.
    You want to change that to something you prefer and then click SAVE SETTINGS or OK or whatever option you have to save what you have done.
    Hope that helps. If not I am sure if you gave Verizon a quick shout they could tell you exactly where that is and how to get to it.
    Please let me know if that all worked out for you
    First of all, "Ouch!" I know what broken limbs are like...

    Thanks mhinc for the advice. I actually tried what you suggested and it did not seem to 'take' when I saved the setting. I'll give it another look: it was a bit intimidating, not being certain what I was changing. The current password is spread across 4 boxes in the router web page....assuming that is where I will enter my new one? I'll give it a shot or contact Vzw if necessary.

    Thanks, I hope you're recovering very soon!
  15. #40  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    First of all, "Ouch!" I know what broken limbs are like...

    Thanks mhinc for the advice. I actually tried what you suggested and it did not seem to 'take' when I saved the setting. I'll give it another look: it was a bit intimidating, not being certain what I was changing. The current password is spread across 4 boxes in the router web page....assuming that is where I will enter my new one? I'll give it a shot or contact Vzw if necessary.

    Thanks, I hope you're recovering very soon!
    I don't see a reason it should be spread across 4 boxes..That seems odd. I would contact Verizon for an easy quick walkthrough since they will know their product and support it best
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  16. #41  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    I don't see a reason it should be spread across 4 boxes..That seems odd. I would contact Verizon for an easy quick walkthrough since they will know their product and support it best
    I may do that or just leave it alone. I only have one other person who'd ever need my password anyway so it's not a big deal really.
    Really great to have the Galaxy S4 connect so fast and smooth to the wifi now..thanks for the help
    mhinc likes this.
  17. #42  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    I may do that or just leave it alone. I only have one other person who'd ever need my password anyway so it's not a big deal really.
    Really great to have the Galaxy S4 connect so fast and smooth to the wifi now..thanks for the help
    Glad to help and hope many others read this and realize how USELESS an virtual router software is when it's just so cheap and easy to get a real wireless router.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Also had the problem of my S4 losing the Wi-Fi connection and showing "saved, secured" with signal very week. My Galaxy Note tablet connects without a problem and stays connected. After reading and trying several of the solutions offered, I found the simple solution was to disable the phone Wi-Fi, reset the router (Linxsys) - I pulled the power lead completely and enable the phone Wi-Fi after the router resets. Now connected and remains connected even after I move out of range and come back.
  19. #44  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by JLSeagull View Post
    Also had the problem of my S4 losing the Wi-Fi connection and showing "saved, secured" with signal very week. My Galaxy Note tablet connects without a problem and stays connected. After reading and trying several of the solutions offered, I found the simple solution was to disable the phone Wi-Fi, reset the router (Linxsys) - I pulled the power lead completely and enable the phone Wi-Fi after the router resets. Now connected and remains connected even after I move out of range and come back.
    Completely different situatuon. As all the folks in this thread were using a virtual software router, and you are using actual hardware. The issue has already been resolved.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    Listen again you are getting snippy and lippy! CD/SOFTWARE same thing! I don't care if it's the newest version! The last thing I would EVER do is install the router software, I have the brains to do it manually and not clog my PC with garbage. Firmware, yes, that's a different story.
    I am really getting sick of your mouth, I am now positive you are some 16 year old little **** living in your parents basement. Watch your mouth it's getting old!

    I registered just to tell you to **** off. Software and cd are not the same and you're a ******* ***** *******.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalinto View Post
    I registered just to tell you to **** off. Software and cd are not the same and you're a ******* ***** *******.
    Lol you're so angry...

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  22. #47  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalinto View Post
    I registered just to tell you to **** off. Software and cd are not the same and you're a ******* ***** *******.
    Actually angry incorrect moron. YES, software and CD are the same thing.
    FIRMWARE and software/CD are different.
    Appears you wasted your time registering because instead of telling me off you just look like a fool.

    And Virtual Router and Hardware router are two different things as well. But either way you are wrong, and the person requesting assistance was given just that, and their problem was solved.

    Any other educated responses you'd like to toss out there?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    I just registered to say you are an arrogant **** with a captiol C. I find it hypocritical that you call other people snippy, yet the majority of your responses are very obnoxious and you carry a holier than thou attitude. You know your stuff, no need to be an *** about it.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Heh, in all likelihood I wrote that CD software.
  25. #50  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by skyguy2062 View Post
    I just registered to say you are an arrogant **** with a captiol C. I find it hypocritical that you call other people snippy, yet the majority of your responses are very obnoxious and you carry a holier than thou attitude. You know your stuff, no need to be an *** about it.
    I wasn't the one who registered to tell me off, with incorrect information! If people can't take it, then the shouldn't make attempts to dish, especially when they make fools of themselves in the process.
    You are probably the same guy from above that registered and looked like a moron, and you are just trying to defend yourself to save face.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. M Issues. Time to factory reset?
    By pizza_pablo in forum Droid RAZR M
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 11:18 PM
  2. Please help me to sort out some contacts issues.
    By scrumpypaul in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 02:39 PM
  3. How to resume after sleep?
    By mbrown333 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM
  4. My Phone Won't Turn ON (Pls Help)
    By hell911 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 08:42 PM
  5. Galaxy S4 Mini - GPS tracking problem using running App
    By purple667 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions