Newbie : Google Services is killing me!

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So I just cleared the cache and data for "Google Services Framework" and "Google Play Services" (I just looked for anything with Google and Services in the name). I then rebooted. It has only been 10 minutes but checking WLD after a few minutes shows my phone is now going into deep sleep (remember it was always "awake"). I'm already at 74% so I am gonna throw it on the charger and get it to 100% then see how it does today. I'll let y'all know.

I think I jacked up my Google Play. When I go to Google play on my computer it says I have no devices. It says the same thing in the Android Device Manager. Anyone know how to fix this?

I bet I didn't have to clear data for "Google Play Services" and that is why I am jacked up. Clearing "Google Services Framework" seems to have no negative effects and I bet that is the one previously causing the wakelock. Half way through the day and my battery drain is gone.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think I jacked up my Google Play. When I go to Google play on my computer it says I have no devices. It says the same thing in the Android Device Manager. Anyone know how to fix this?

I bet I didn't have to clear data for "Google Play Services" and that is why I am jacked up. Clearing "Google Services Framework" seems to have no negative effects and I bet that is the one previously causing the wakelock. Half way through the day and my battery drain is gone.

Are you sure you're logged into the Google account you used when you set up your Play account? Your Play device list, "my apps" list, and wishlist are all tied to that account.

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you're logged into the Google account you used when you set up your Play account? Your Play device list, "my apps" list, and wishlist are all tied to that account.

Yup, I could see my apps but no device. Since my previous post my device is showing up on Google Play but still not showing up in Android Device Manager. I tried turning it off and on on my phone in the security setting but that didn't fix it.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Congrats on getting that taken care of! :thumbup::D

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I could see my apps but no device. Since my previous post my device is showing up on Google Play but still not showing up in Android Device Manager. I tried turning it off and on on my phone in the security setting but that didn't fix it.

What are you trying to do with the Google Device Manager? It appears to be a security feature (find phone, disable phone), and at least on my phone doesn't list a device.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
my wife has a fresh new s4 , google services didnt show up on hers untill i opened maps and enables location services for it.. i went into google settings under locationand unchecked the box for google to acess my location, not i dont see google services in my batt stats anymore

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What are you trying to do with the Google Device Manager? It appears to be a security feature (find phone, disable phone), and at least on my phone doesn't list a device.

Right, but I would like to be able to use this feature if I lose my phone or it is stolen. On my computer it is saying no device so I cannot do things like find it, wipe it, etc.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Right, but I would like to be able to use this feature if I lose my phone or it is stolen. On my computer it is saying no device so I cannot do things like find it, wipe it, etc.

So it's Google as accessed through your computer that needs to recognize your phone. Have you selected Google Device Manager as the active device administrator in your phone's security settings (I know you said you went to security settings earlier, just want to make sure)?

I've got Android Device Manager as the active device administrator in my security settings - what do I need to look at on my computer to see if I have a device listed (I know there are instructions for how to access this - I'll check when I get home tonight)? I can see if I have the same issue you do.

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So it's Google as accessed through your computer that needs to recognize your phone. Have you selected Google Device Manager as the active device administrator in your phone's security settings (I know you said you went to security settings earlier, just want to make sure)?

I've got Android Device Manager as the active device administrator in my security settings - what do I need to look at on my computer to see if I have a device listed (I know there are instructions for how to access this - I'll check when I get home tonight)? I can see if I have the same issue you do.

Yea, I have Google device manager selected as the device administrator in my phone.

The website to access Android device manager is: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I have Google device manager selected as the device administrator in my phone.

The website to access Android device manager is: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Thanks for the link. I found it with a Google search a little while ago before dropping back in the forum, and found that it has both my old DINC2 and new Galaxy S4 listed as devices. I'm afraid that's about all I can contribute at this point. Perhaps your S4 needs to be re-registered with the site or with Google? I don't remember what I had to do, if anything, to get mine to show up there.

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I found it with a Google search a little while ago before dropping back in the forum, and found that it has both my old DINC2 and new Galaxy S4 listed as devices. I'm afraid that's about all I can contribute at this point. Perhaps your S4 needs to be re-registered with the site or with Google? I don't remember what I had to do, if anything, to get mine to show up there.

Yea, you don't have to do anything which is why this is so perplexing. Oh well, maybe I'll do a factory reset if I really feel I need that. Thanks though.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem as the OP, but I'm using Qualcomm snapdragon BatteryGuru, and as a few versions ago, they now want access to Location Services -- for some stupid reason -- which seems to somehow turn on Google Services, which kills the battery. I cannot figure out the reason they thought that would be a good idea, the same thing with the broken wifi management, it is supposed to turn on the wifi for a couple minutes, then turn it off, but it stays on. If you hardly use wifi, why does the developer insist you use the management part of the app to save battery, when it doesn't.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Having Wi-Fi on provides your phone with a faster and lower powered location approximation.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

kylie brown

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I am having similar issues with my battery. Don't of many of those apps, but still the battery ruins so fast on my brand new device. Any suggestions.

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So I just cleared the cache and data for "Google Services Framework" and "Google Play Services" (I just looked for anything with Google and Services in the name). I then rebooted. It has only been 10 minutes but checking WLD after a few minutes shows my phone is now going into deep sleep (remember it was always "awake"). I'm already at 74% so I am gonna throw it on the charger and get it to 100% then see how it does today. I'll let y'all know.

This fixed mine. I would only clear the cache and data for "Google Services Framework" though.