Wakelocks?

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but you may think this is a dumb question, but how do I interpret the wakelock numbers? For instance, Facebook app had x1200 next to it. Does this mean the Facebook app woke my phone up 1200 times in that day? Thanks all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but those were almost certainly partial wakelocks, which doesn't activate the screen. Many apps are performing a lot of tasks in the background, and a lot of them require the phone to wake up partially from sleep. These partial wakelocks usually use up negligible battery, but sometimes they do contribute to significant drain. If you keep Location Reporting on (Google Settings/Location), you might find partial wakelocks reaching the 10000 mark. I have found that keeping Location Reporting on caused about 50% faster battery usage (i.e., on my Razr Maxx, at the end of the day, the battery might have dropped from 100% to 70%, instead of the usual 100% to 80%, based on my moderate usage).

If you see a lot of full wakelocks, something is probably wrong. Full wakelocks should only happen if an app needs to keep the phone from sleeping (like, for example, a long phone call).

prozacfield

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
B.Diddy said it all, i just want to add: x1200 (or whatever number) is not in that day, it's in the time your battery is monitored. I mean, if you disconnected it from charger two hours ago and didn't reboot the phone since then, x1200 is a number of wakelocks in two hours.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
On a totally unrelated note, I thought the title of this thread said "warlocks". I think it's time for me to go to bed....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Well thanks for the info. Is there a way to tell the difference between partial and full wakelocks? I ask because my phone gets around 2.5 hours of on screen time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Install Wakelock Detector, let it run in the background for several hours, then open it. You can select between displaying full and partial wakelocks using the icons at the top of the screen.

gda12

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I am having extremely bad time with my new S4's battery. I have already exchanged the device once and these wakelocks are making my experience a nightmare. Last night i charged my phone to 100% and overnight my battery drained to 55%. I have downloaded wakelock detector and clock and Calendar storage are major culprits. Calendar had 1600 wakelock triggers in one night. I am so frustrated right now. I can't find any possible way of dealing with this situation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that wakelocks in themselves may not necessarily cause all of your battery drain, because wakelocks are still a normal part of the system's function. Try installing GSAM Battery Monitor, which can give you a nice breakdown of what is using your battery.

gda12

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
40 percent is shown as app usage on gsm battery monitor with kernel taking 11 percent and clock taking 6 percent of the battery. I have disabled calendar beacude calendar is just sucking my battery. I cant beleive how stock apps can lead to such battery drain.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa