Question Messages light up screen?

winny111

Oct 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone :)

I recently switched from an Iphone 6s to a brand new Samsung Galaxy A34. It's the first time I'm using a Samsung, so everything is quite new.
One key feature I'm struggling with is the notifications. When I got a message on Messenger (for example, but in general every app) on my Iphone, my screen used to light up and I could see who texted me and see (a part of) the message. On my Samsung, this seems to work for the app "Messages", but only that (so no Facebook, Instagram, Messenger...). I do know how to activate the Always on display stuff, but that just gives a small notification icon and not the message itself.
I find that very frustrating, because now I get to hear a sound, but I actively have to tap/activate my phone to see a message on the lockscreen. I would like my screen to light up like it did on my Iphone with the message able to read without having to do anything (so no flash notification with just the icon).
Is there any way to do so? I can't seem to find it online and I think I looked everywhere in settings, but I just can't find it.

Sorry if this question has already been answered!

Thank you very much for the help :))

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone :)

I recently switched from an Iphone 6s to a brand new Samsung Galaxy A34. It's the first time I'm using a Samsung, so everything is quite new.
One key feature I'm struggling with is the notifications. When I got a message on Messenger (for example, but in general every app) on my Iphone, my screen used to light up and I could see who texted me and see (a part of) the message. On my Samsung, this seems to work for the app "Messages", but only that (so no Facebook, Instagram, Messenger...). I do know how to activate the Always on display stuff, but that just gives a small notification icon and not the message itself.
I find that very frustrating, because now I get to hear a sound, but I actively have to tap/activate my phone to see a message on the lockscreen. I would like my screen to light up like it did on my Iphone with the message able to read without having to do anything (so no flash notification with just the icon).
Is there any way to do so? I can't seem to find it online and I think I looked everywhere in settings, but I just can't find it.

Sorry if this question has already been answered!

Thank you very much for the help :))
Hi ! And welcome to the AC forums! 🙂
Are you using samsung Messages, or google Messages?

With google Messages... you can tap the account icon (at the top right side of the list of conversations) > then 'Help & feedback' > then 'Change Messages notifications & settings' ... where you can then tap & read:

• 'Change bubble notification settings'
&
• 'Additional controls for notifications, ~ '

FYI– I use google Messages, and under: Accounts > Message settings > Notifications ... I have 'Lock screen' allowed, 'Badge' allowed, and 'Pop-up' allowed, which along with the sound, pops up a long bubble on the lock screen, that you can tap, if you're quick enough 🙄 , to either read the entire message, or open Messages.

You can also turn-on and adjust the Google Messages notification & bubble settings, via: the account icon (at the top right side of the list of conversations) > 'Message settings' > 'Notifications' > and/or 'Bubbles'.

Hope some of that may help.

Last edited:

winny111

Oct 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi Winmod! Thanks for that. I use the Samsung one and that works as well.
My question mostly refers to other apps like Messenger and Instagram notifications. Any idea how those could make my locked screen light up without having to touch it and see the message?

Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My question mostly refers to other apps like Messenger and Instagram notifications. Any idea how those could make my locked screen light up without having to touch it and see the message?
Hmmm. Sorry 'bout that. 🤗 I got distracted by a phone call and forgot you said that! 😊 Unfortunately, I don't, as I don't use them. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come alongside to help you with that very soon. 😉

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You need an app for that.

I know what you're asking about because BlackBerry used to have the same function for their BB10 phones. When I switched to the Samsung back in 2017, I had to find out how to get that same function from my then new Galaxy S8.

Look up Glimpse Notifications in the Play Store. It's a free app that's been my savior since discovering it a few months after I switched.

Still works today on my S20 FE running Android 13, and the developer does keep up with it as it's needed.

It turns the screen on to the lock screen with any new notification that just popped in, and stays on about 15 seconds before turning back off, or going back to the AOD if that's on. That setting is adjustable in the apps settings.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, this is one of the few times that a Pixel has a native feature that a Samsung doesn't -- on my Pixel 7 Pro, there's an option under Display to "Wake screen for notifications.":unsure:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Interestingly, this is one of the few times that a Pixel has a native feature that a Samsung doesn't -- on my Pixel 7 Pro, there's an option under Display to "Wake screen for notifications.":unsure:
Under lock screen>AOD>choose show for new notification it's similar to pixels
022a0ac2d6e956390e6231ec5791fc1e.jpg

Reactions: B. Diddy

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Under lock screen>AOD>choose show for new notification it's similar to pixels
022a0ac2d6e956390e6231ec5791fc1e.jpg
But doesn't that just turn on the AOD - which is just whatever it's set for and the row of recent notification icons?

Or does that show the full lock screen with the new notification bubble - telling you who it's from, and the message, if it's set to show all that?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But doesn't that just turn on the AOD - which is just whatever it's set for and the row of recent notification icons?

Or does that show the full lock screen with the new notification bubble - telling you who it's from, and the message, if it's set to show all that?
I have mine set to no sensitive information shown so the lock screen black and a notification icon appears like it's AOD but it wakes the screen up

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000