Android 4.3--Coming to Verizon S4??

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So I read this morning that Samsung has confirmed rolling out Android 4.3 to the GS4 in October. Does this mean it comes directly to all S4 owners? Or do we have to wait for our carrier to roll it out to us? I have Verizon and I know they have a history of taking away features. Will they do that here?

And in general...what will be new with 4.3? Anything noticeable?

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So I read this morning that Samsung has confirmed rolling out Android 4.3 to the GS4 in October. Does this mean it comes directly to all S4 owners? Or do we have to wait for our carrier to roll it out to us? I have Verizon and I know they have a history of taking away features. Will they do that here?

The rollout will be dictated by each carrier, and generally Verizon does drag it's feet pretty bad. Now that I have an S4 on Verizon you're all screwed, every update I've been involved with (previous phones) has had a 3+ month delay. Sorry. ;-)

Don't know much about the changes in 4.3 though, I'll worry about that more when we get the update next year. :)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Yes, as usually it will ultimately be up to Verizon to release the update for their version. Whether or not they add/remove/alter stuff is yet to be seen (it would be nice if Blocking Mode would be restored, for example, but I'm not holding my breath). Essentially, if Samsung releases the update in October, don't expect the US carrier versions to get it right away...and of all the US carriers, Verizon will probably be the last to release the update based on previous history.

You can see here the changes in Android 4.3: Android - Android 4.3, Jelly Bean
Of course, some of these default features will be overcome by touchwiz features anyway. In my opinion, 4.3 isn't a *huge* upgrade from a user standpoint.

My advice...just be patient. The S4 is a great device even with 4.2.2. This device will be updated eventually, but there's no reason to not be pretty satisfied with the S4 as it currently is.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I think verizon gave us the first update rather fast. My phone has been running amazing since then.

That is true, and I was a bit surprised myself...guess we'll see if that trend continues or if that was an anomaly

Either way, it will still be several weeks after Samsung releases the update before any of the US carrier versions see it.

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
My advice...just be patient. The S4 is a great device even with 4.2.2. This device will be updated eventually, but there's no reason to not be pretty satisfied with the S4 as it currently is.

I agree. I love my phone and have no problems with 4.2.2. I would like to see blocking mode restored on VZW, but thats about it. Doesn't look like 4.3 will have much of an impact really.

sharpehenry

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Only thing that I really like about 4.3 is to have guest user function or was it the kitkat version not too sure now.
It will be a great function to have if you have friends who borrow your phone a lot to make calls. Just allow phone calls only on guest account and that's only thing they can do. Can't see your personal photos, texts, or apps.
I thought it was neat.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa