Is the Galaxy S4 still worth buying?

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
The S5 will be coming out in a matter of months so is the S4 still worth signing a 2 year contract for? Where does it rank against the other top androids now vs when it was released?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The S5 will be coming out in a matter of months so is the S4 still worth signing a 2 year contract for? Where does it rank against the other top androids now vs when it was released?

It's still a good phone.

The Moto X. The Nexus 5. The LG G2. The GS4. The Note 3. Heck, even the HTC One. All solid devices. All solid devices right now. When the S5 comes out, something "better" will be coming out in a matter of months. Buy the phone you want when you're ready to buy a phone.

Heck, maybe buy a used GS4 in good condition and save your upgrade for the next one.

ReMarkable2112

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the choice between the moto x and the S4. I decided I still need a external sd card and I liked the larger screen.

Posted via Android Central App

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
The biggest concern I have about the S4 is the issues that so many have had with SD cards either becoming unmounted or corrupted. I've seen a lot of stories about Samsungs and micro SD cards for my own comfort level...

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
There's always something "better" around the corner ... it just depends on when you're ready to buy/upgrade. But the GS4 is still right there with other flagships in terms of specs. The good news is that since it's a little older, there are some great deals.

As someone else said, I think the screen size and SD card are a couple of the better features for the GS4 ... just depends on what is important to you. Each of the other top-shelf phones has features which may make it more desirable or less desirable than the GS4. If I had to buy another phone today, I think I'd still chose the GS4 (except maybe the Note 3, but the price of that is prohibitive IMHO).

Rob

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Bought my so black Friday weekend at best buy for free.

I'm very happy. I had a Galaxy Nexus and it was replaced in August with a S3 via warranty exchange.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S4 for 5 months now but if I was getting a new phone today I'd still get the S4. The only other phone that I'd consider is the note 3 (wasn't out when i got my s4). However i think it's too big. I prefer the size of this phone. my last phone was a galaxy note which was great but a little too big . I've not had any problems with this phone. The screen is great and it is fast and smooth . I need removable battery and expandable memory . I also prefer the amoled screens on samsung devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The biggest concern I have about the S4 is the issues that so many have had with SD cards either becoming unmounted or corrupted. I've seen a lot of stories about Samsungs and micro SD cards for my own comfort level...
The SD card is the only thing that works as it should on my S4. its one of the worst phones ive ever owned and can't wait to get rid of it. Back to iPhone I go lol

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I think if you're not coming from an s3 than the s4 could be a nice upgrade.

My daughter is a Samsung phone girl and would hardly consider anything else, had her heart set on the 4. However when she used it in store she was let down saying is wasn't much of a change from her 3

Yesterday she ended up going with the LGG2 and really likes it and it's only a penny right now on amazon.

Either way you go good luck with your new device

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a GS4 don't have any issues and love it. It's the first Samsung phone I ever bought.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I was mid-reply when my laptop shut down on me. Hopefully I can remember the highlights of what I said.

I have a Galaxy Nexus. Thanks to antiquated Canadian 3 year contracts (or they were when I signed), I have a ways to go before I have an upgrade. BUT if I had a chance to upgrade, I'd be torn between the GS4 and the MotoX. Here are my thoughts on why...

GS4 still ranks as a top 10 smartphone of 2013 (average place of 6 or so in the lists I read). Considering how many phones were released this year, that's still a very respectable rank. Camera STILL is pretty awesome compared to phones released after it. Plus, considering it was released just about every major market on the planet, it has great support for accessories and such. That may be something to consider. Replaceable battery for me is a good thing to have, and considering that of the 16GB, only about half that is available (thanks to bloatware and TouchWiz), the SD card could be handy as well (BUT S4s seem to have a knack for destroying sd cards... something else to keep in mind). Plus, I think all the extra features of TouchWiz would be fun to play with for a while until I got bored/annoyed enough and disabled them. S4 has also been out long enough that almost all issues have been dug up, patched, fixed, worked around (or at least are well documented). This is a good thing. I wasn't aware of all the problems that the Gnex had -- and I've experienced most of them (and a few unique ones)

MotoX. New, slick, fast, smart. Active Notifications. Almost pure Android (very few additions, and those additions are actually useful day-to-day). Decent camera, especially after the update. Incredible battery life. Amazing reviews. About as slick and simple and "it just works" that you can get in the Android universe (from what I've read). Rave reviews across the board. A few issues popping up, esp related to Motorola's customer support/care. Incredible radio/reception. But since its still fairly new, long-term issues haven't come up yet. Weaknesses as far as long term usability/durability are just an unknown. That's part of the risk of buying a devices that's fairly new on the market.

If it was my upgrade, I'd have to spend a couple days really digging into reviews on both, plus do as much hands-on playing in my local store as the employees would allow. Right now at this moment I'd lean more towards the S4, but its to close to say (for me

If you buy a device that's on the market 6 months or less, you run the risk of buying a product with known quality issues, but it is newer, and therefore slightly more future-proof. Buying an older - as in 6 months on market or more - device you loose some of that future-proof-ness (is that a word??) but also have a better idea of consistent bugs or quality issues

Finally, there's always something bigger, better, smarter, faster, etc just around the corner. That's the harsh reality of mobile tech at this point. Its evolving so fast that an awesome device like the S4 (released in April I think -- 8 months ago) is considered "old". Buy the device you want/need/can afford now, and don't wait for "the next big thing" because as soon as it lands, the "next big thing" will already have tons of rumors floating around it.

Summary: I'd lean slightly toward the S4. Your mileage may vary

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The SD card is the only thing that works as it should on my S4. its one of the worst phones ive ever owned and can't wait to get rid of it. Back to iPhone I go lol

Musta got a bad S4,,,, just like getting a bad iPhone is possible as well.

I've owned iPhones and Androids,,, I keep going back and forth,, my last iPhone 5s (I've owned every model of iPhone) is the last iPhone I think I will every buy,,, my current GS4 is my daily driver these days (sold my 5s),,,,, it's hard to downgrade back to an iPhone after owning a GS4 or a Note 1,2 or 3.

Cheers
Davyo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
It is a great phone but I found that after buying it I really had no need for the fancy air gestures and all the other jazz they have. Paid more for a phone that has stuff I really don't use. I will be going with a much simpler phone when I can.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

If cost is an issue, I would jump on an S4 on a 2 yr contract for $0 asap. The $0 deals will starts to show up very soon. Keep in mind that there is a decent chance that the S4 will get Kit Kat in the first half of this year. I can't believe the difference between the S4 and S5 will be all that incredible once the s4 has Kit Kat. IMHO
However, if you can be patient and don't mind spending $200-250 on a new 2 year contract, then wait for the new S5 this year.
Either way you will have a great smartphone!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If cost is an issue, I would jump on an S4 on a 2 yr contract for $0 asap. The $0 deals will starts to show up very soon. Keep in mind that there is a decent chance that the S4 will get Kit Kat in the first half of this year. I can't believe the difference between the S4 and S5 will be all that incredible once the s4 has Kit Kat. IMHO
However, if you can be patient and don't mind spending $200-250 on a new 2 year contract, then wait for the new S5 this year.
Either way you will have a great smartphone!

That's true!

My brother got a free Galaxy S4 just a couple of weeks ago at BestBuy with a 2 year Sprint contract.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

Ditto for me too. Although I won't be going to an iPhone, but I did go back to my Nexus 4. At the time of purchasing the s4, I thought the n4 was a horrible phone. However, shortly after purchasing the s4, I realized how wrong I was about the n4. The s4, for me, was a bad bad phone and even a worse experience. I had too many issues with the s4.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Ditto for me too. Although I won't be going to an iPhone, but I did go back to my Nexus 4. At the time of purchasing the s4, I thought the n4 was a horrible phone. However, shortly after purchasing the s4, I realized how wrong I was about the n4. The s4, for me, was a bad bad phone and even a worse experience. I had too many issues with the s4.

You guys probably had a bad unit, I know I did the first time!

6 days later I exchanged it for another one and it was night and day!

Anyway, this is the first Samsung phone I've ever owned and it's also the first Android device that I'm really happy with.

I know there isn't a perfect phone out there, only the one that works best for each of us. This is the best Android phone for me so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer