No Wildcards in Contacts?

tbzep

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
New Galaxy S4 user. Hi.

My fire dept. uses batch texting via computer as a backup method to call in off duty personel. The texts have an email address instead of a phone number, but because the address changes slightly each time it is sent, I can't set it in contacts. The first three letters are always the same, and the "@xxx.xxx" at the end is always the same. Is there any way to turn on the use of wildcards so that I can set a unique notification sound and image in my contacts? If not, is there a way to generally set all email-to-texts with a different notification sound/image than regular texts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
New Galaxy S4 user. Hi.

My fire dept. uses batch texting via computer as a backup method to call in off duty personel. The texts have an email address instead of a phone number, but because the address changes slightly each time it is sent, I can't set it in contacts. The first three letters are always the same, and the "@xxx.xxx" at the end is always the same. Is there any way to turn on the use of wildcards so that I can set a unique notification sound and image in my contacts? If not, is there a way to generally set all email-to-texts with a different notification sound/image than regular texts?

Welcome to the forums.
I am not entirely sure what you want to o can be done, but you can certainly try a different text messaging app. Many people like Textra.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
First, how are you getting actual email addresses? SMS itself doesn't have support for those. ATT's gateway uses a special numeric address that allows it to match a reply to the sender but at the cost of not having a single number/name to match in contacts resulting in the same problem you're having. Is the email address actually in the text field instead of the phone number field? Perhaps your carrier did that but then what's in the number field?

Are you getting SMS or MMS (which does pass email addresses)?

In any case I doubt if Textra will help since Chomp definitely doesn't.

Look at Sms(text)pager in play store.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.realapps.smspager&token=mI8HXnjb

It can look at each sms for keywords or partial matches and override the normal alert sound. Still doesn't help grouping the msgs together with a common picture but...

Last edited:

tbzep

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I looked under message details and it gives me:

Type: Text message
From: hfd+bnc(then a bunch more letters and numbers which change on each message)@taud.org

tbzep

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Tasker can do this (and much more) although you'll have to spend a little time figuring things out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

tbzep

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Figured out the texts are SMS. MMS shows up next to the time stamp under the text bubble. The texts I'm trying to work with don't have any notification with the time stamp.

tbzep

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I tried OnCall Pager Pro (free and paid version) and SMS Pager. Both worked. I'm on both paid and volunteer depts. I wanted to set up different alert tones for each one.

OnCall allows multiple filters, but all go together with the same settings. I hoped the paid version would allow separate settings, but it didn't. I tried it first because it had better reviews than SMS.

SMS Pager allowed me to use completely unique settings for each filter, allowing me to customize each departments text notifications. It looks like it will do everything I wanted except showing a large image like the phone does with phone calls. That way I could have it completely silenced and no vibrations and still see a fire dept. notification from a few feet away.