Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sophia Zhao
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4: Dropped and now screen is blank

The phone fell less than three feet and it didn't appear to be much of a jolt, but now the screen doesn't work at all. No damage apparent, no bright pixels, just dead screen. The phone seems to otherwise work. I cannot confirm that the digitizer is functional. I cannot answer the phone when it rings, but I may be swiping in the wrong spot. I pulled it all apart and verified all the connectors. I also tried reflowing with a hot air gun on just the main board, but I chickened out before it got very hot. Any thoughts on cause or additional T/S steps? I would simply replace the digitizer/screen but I don't want to spend $250 on an experiment. Any way I can confirm that it's the front panel that is broken?

Global Posts
    1,654 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default Re: Galaxy S4: Dropped and now screen is blank

I can't answer your question for you, but I can tell you that Radio Shack repairs phones. I would take it there and see what they have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Ryan View Post
    The phone fell less than three feet and it didn't appear to be much of a jolt, but now the screen doesn't work at all. No damage apparent, no bright pixels, just dead screen. The phone seems to otherwise work. I cannot confirm that the digitizer is functional. I cannot answer the phone when it rings, but I may be swiping in the wrong spot. I pulled it all apart and verified all the connectors. I also tried reflowing with a hot air gun on just the main board, but I chickened out before it got very hot. Any thoughts on cause or additional T/S steps? I would simply replace the digitizer/screen but I don't want to spend $250 on an experiment. Any way I can confirm that it's the front panel that is broken?
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Like I have said to all the other people that come on here and drop their phones. Get a good case. Sorry this happened to you but dropping that phone even 3 feet with a crap case or no case is going to damage it. Plane and simple. Obivoulsy something happened when it fell and you are going to need to get it repaired. There is no simple fix to a phone drop that causes damage.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Your advice about a case is well received and the lesson is learned. However, I am still interested in fixing this phone and to be clear, I understand the fix will not be simple. I was hoping someone with some experience with similar incidents might be able to point me toward a strategy to identify the root fault and repair it. If this isn't the best forum to ask for that kind of info, can someone point me to another site that might be able to assist.

haha I dropped my phone this morning and I have the same problem, but i can see a inch (internal crack) on the top right corner of the screen. I went to a repair shop and the guy told me i need to replace the whole LCD screen ($200)

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Your advice about a case is well received and the lesson is learned. However, I am still interested in fixing this phone and to be clear, I understand the fix will not be simple. I was hoping someone with some experience with similar incidents might be able to point me toward a strategy to identify the root fault and repair it. If this isn't the best forum to ask for that kind of info, can someone point me to another site that might be able to assist.
    It sounds like the LCD and the Digitizer, but it's hard to say, all you can really do is take it somewhere and at least get a quote?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---

Even if you confirm the the digitizer is okay, it's really difficult to separate the touch panel from LCD screen. And may be damage both the touch glass and LCD screen.
    mhinc likes this.