Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet Won't Turn On (Black Screen of Death)

disman00911

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

Two days ago, I turned on my Samsung Galaxy A7 (10.4 screen) android tablet and put it on a counter. My cat was running around and accidently knocked my tablet off the counter and to the floor. The tablet fell about 2-3 feet and landed on the tip. I picked up my tablet to turn it on and suddenly it won't turn on at all. No Samsung startup logo. I pressed the start and volume down buttons at the same time and nothing happened. I even tried the Factory Data Reset option and nothing happened. I also did the tapping on the screen and nothing happened. I also tried charging the tablet and I get nothing to imply that it is charging. I also tried connecting the tablet to my PC (via USB drive) but the device is not recognized, meaning that I can't recover my data. The day earlier, my tablet was working fine.

I followed several YouTube videos to try to fix the problem but to no avail. Very frustrating as there are no cracks or spills on the screen after its fall. Also, my android has a case protector and the tablet was inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mov21fbdiHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3uDA7xs2CY

I've had this tablet for about a year and now I have to order another tablet online. What do I do? Did my battery slip inside the tablet? This tablet is very hard to disassembly. Maybe the battery inside slipped after the tablet was dropped?

Hope this forum is more active as I asked on another forum but so far got no responses. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may be that a connection got jarred loose from the fall, or some other damage occurred. A fall onto the corner can be pretty serious, since the entire force of the impact gets concentrated in one place, and then gets distributed from there (as opposed to falling flat, in which case the impact is distributed evenly). You'd probably have to bring it to a repair shop to diagnose.

In the meantime, try leaving it plugged into a wall outlet for at least 6 hours undisturbed, then press and hold Power for about 30 seconds. If nothing seems to happen, it's either dead, or possibly only the screen is dead (since the tablet doesn't necessarily make any sound nor vibrations during boot). Since you probably have a screen lock set up, it'll be difficult to get past it in order to finish the boot process and test other things to make a sound.

disman00911

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I did do all the options you listed (pressing power for 30 seconds, leaving it charged for a significant time). I also did the tapping and massage tactics but nothing works. The screen won't power on. When I plugged the tablet to charge it, there is no charging display on the screen. No green battery icon on the screen with how much percentage the battery has.

When my tablet dropped, there was no bent. It simply just dropped and the tablet looks normal and has no visible bent.

How much would it be to repair it? $100? $200? The tablet was between $150 and $200 when I ordered it last year. I had expected this table to last at least for 5 years. My previous tablet that I ordered 6 or 7 years ago lasted that long. It still works but I needed to order a new tablet as the Android system on my old tablet was outdated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There definitely doesn't have to be obvious outside damage for something to have become damaged on the inside.

Hard to say how much repair would be, but screen repair these days is typically $100-200 depending on the device and where you go for the repair (probably closer to $200 than $100). If it's a motherboard problem, it'll cost even more. It'll probably be best to recycle this one and buy a new one.

In the future, make sure you have a good case that can help absorb some of the impact of a fall.

disman00911

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Can you get into download mode ?

No. I can't get it to the startup screen. I can't even get it recognized whenever I connect it to my PC using a USB cord.

Also, I tried again with charging the android over 6 hours as mentioned above but I still can't get it to start up. The tablet is pretty much dead. It might be something loose inside the tablet but this tablet is very hard to dissemble.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No. I can't get it to the startup screen. I can't even get it recognized whenever I connect it to my PC using a USB cord.

Also, I tried again with charging the android over 6 hours as mentioned above but I still can't get it to start up. The tablet is pretty much dead. It might be something loose inside the tablet but this tablet is very hard to dissemble.

No not asking start up menu , can you get into download mode , You familiar with this ?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos