new galaxy s4 i9505 wifi won't work

elcubanito66

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I just bought this and today I went to set it up and I signed into Samsung account and then connected to my wifi and then went to sign into google account and then wifi went off and won't turn back on. PLEASE HELP cause I only have 10 more days to return it. anybody know what's wrong?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mean the wi-fi radio turned off by itself, or it just lost the connection? If the radio is still on but the connection is lost, review this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html. If the radio turned off by itself and you can't turn it back on, just bring it back for an exchange--it's probably not worth trying to fix, and might herald a problem device that you don't want to keep anyway.

elcubanito66

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey there B. Diddy. ok, this is what is going on. I just bought this new galaxy s4 i9505 unlocked and it comes with 4.4.2.. I started doing the setup and was going fine samsung, google, dropbox accounts and setting up the wifi perfect. When it went to do the final and start working the wifi turns off and then if I try to turn it back on it stays light green but does not turn on. The data from my sim card works fine but can not connect to wifi to install all the apps that I have. I was told that it's something todo with the 4.4.2 firmmare.

Question, the phone has the firmmare from Open Europe, can I install the same firmmare but from my country Costa Rica?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remind me--does light green mean it's on, off, or in the process of turning on? Samsung's color scheme is different from most other Android devices.

I'm not well-versed in rooting and ROMing, but stock firmware has to match your exact model, so I don't know if you can necessarily flash a ROM intended for a different model.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The hardware is different in phones made for different countries. You have to install the firmware for the phone itself, not for where you are.

I don't know about the S4, but I'm beginning to suspect that the 4.4.2 wifi firmware on the Note 3 (and they're probably about the same) has some problems. Over the next few days, I'm going to experiment by putting in earlier modems, to see if the wifi goes back to the way it worked under 4.3. (I have a few 4.3 modems I can flash.) If that doesn't work I'm left with the choice of about 1mbps wifi or using the guest account on the router. It works fine on the guest account, at coffee shops and other public hotspots, but not on either of my Linksys routers (one of which is about 10 years old and still works fine for every other device) or at my daughter's house with a Time Warner router. And the trouble started somewhere around the 4.3 to 4.4 update.