Why is my Galaxy S4 draining From 90 to 0 overnight?

garrettb214

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S4 Draining From 90 to 0% overnight

My GS4 Drains from 90 to 0 percent overnight because of Android OS. I was planning on doing a factory reset. I am not sure if I should do one though.
Wifi and Mobile data are enabled overnight so that might be one of the reasons.

Specs: Att GS4 on Android 4.4.4, Stock Charger and Battery

Here are some screenshots:
Screenshot_2014-12-30-06-17-31.jpg
Screenshot_2014-12-30-06-17-25.jpg

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Draining From 90 to 0% overnight

Pull the battery out for 5 minutes + and restart. It should clear the ram and reset the OS without any data loss.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

New phone, new ROM or new update? Leave the charger plugged in overnight until it stops. It's going to be doing "operating system stuff" for a few days to maybe a week.

After a few weeks? Have the phone replaced if they can't repair it (probably by reflashing the ROM). Make sure everything is backed up (to a PC or the cloud or both) before you bring it in. Either flashing the ROM or replacing the phone will lose all your apps and data.

garrettb214

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

New phone, new ROM or new update? Leave the charger plugged in overnight until it stops. It's going to be doing "operating system stuff" for a few days to maybe a week.

After a few weeks? Have the phone replaced if they can't repair it (probably by reflashing the ROM). Make sure everything is backed up (to a PC or the cloud or both) before you bring it in. Either flashing the ROM or replacing the phone will lose all your apps and data.

It is a newer update and when I originally upgraded I didn`t have this problem. I`m going to backup and reset the phone now. I will let you know how it is going.

Bluefield

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
I have exactly the same problem with my s4 running 4.4.2. I go to bed on 100%, wake up to find the battery on single digits, check the battery graph and find during the night it's gone from draining at around 5% an hour to suddenly nose-diving at 20% an hour when not in use.
It doesn't do it all the time, but when I've looked at the stats on GSam, the largest consumption always says Android OS. There's so many processes listed under this heading to make identifying any one reason impossible.
The only app I've heard of that might list the specific reason for the sudden power surge is Wakelock detector, but this doesn't seem to be supported on stock Android.
Do you know of any other app that gives you a more precise breakdown?
I used to always use my smartphone as an alarm, but with this problem occurring almost every other week, I just can't trust it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez