Why are certain apps on my Samsung Galaxy S4 crashing?

SirMoeHimself

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
Samsung SGH-I337
Android Version: 5.0.1

So seemingly overnight my Samsung Galaxy S4 is experiencing random crashes for certain apps. For lack of technical terms, it seems to crash on apps that involve imputing some sort of text to be saved on the app. Anyway, i noticed it Sunday morning first on the Simplest Checklist App for Android, when I would go to add an item to the list by tapping the "+" it would just freeze, then go black and go to the home screen. I then got the error message "System UI has stopped working." I cleared the cache of System UI just in case I did everything in regards to the app (restarted phone, cleared cache, cleared data, uninstalled and reinstalled) and the app would still crash. Then when I downloaded another Checklist app, the same thing happened when I tapped a "+" to add an item! Then i noticed that other, but not all, apps would crash when it came to some sort of entry or text input. Some apps work fine, but others crash, and what's more confusing is it's a mix of both factory and third party apps that crash. Here is a list of some of the apps that have crashed, and what causes the crash:

Simplest Checklist: trying to add an item.
Counter: trying to add a counting event.
Calculator: accessing the history and tapping old calculation.
Calendar: adding an event
Text Messaging: tapping "send" after typing message, even though the message sends, the app crashes.
SMemo: app opens to blank and then crashes.
Gallery: app opens to black then crashes.
Netflix: after Netflix logo flashes it goes to black and crashes. Thought it worked after I updated it and it went to the menu screen, but then resumed crashing at logo screen upon further openings.
Chrome and Stock Browsers: these work fine but when I tap the address bar to copy, paste or type an address it crashes, more so on Chrome, but on the stock browser only when on Quick Access home page.

Those are the ones i know so far. Other apps like Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, Fandango, Instagram, Amazon, Chrome, Google maps,or stock apps like stock browser, Samsung Music Player, and Camera still work fine. Bluetooth, Wifi connections also work.

I cannot really begin to explain how this sudden defect began. I have auto updates turned off, the last update I did was for a bank app 3 days prior, and unfortunately if a system or google app update happened overnight I wouldn't know because first thing i did was clear notifications. So far I have restarted the phone, turned off and removed battery then turned back on, cleared cache. I read somewhere to uninstall the Google App, or uninstall the updates, which I did and that did not work (I have not tried uninstalling all updates from the Google Play Store.) I also booted in safe mode, to which the same apps would still crash like before, removed the SD card and restarted, and lastly I did a Wipe of the Cache Partition, all of which have not solved the issue. Any help on the issue will be very much appreciated, and I can also provide any more information if needed. Thanks.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung SGH-I337
Android Version: 5.0.1

So seemingly overnight my Samsung Galaxy S4 is experiencing random crashes for certain apps. For lack of technical terms, it seems to crash on apps that involve imputing some sort of text to be saved on the app. Anyway, i noticed it this morning first on the Simplest Checklist App for Android, when I would go to add an item to the list by tapping the "+" it would just freeze, then go black and go to the home screen. I then got the error message "System UI has stopped working." I cleared the cache of System UI just in case I did everything in regards to the app (restarted phone, cleared cache, cleared data, uninstalled and reinstalled) and the app would still crash. Then when I downloaded another Checklist app, the same thing happened when I tapped a "+" to add an item! Then i noticed that other, but not all, apps would crash when it came to some sort of entry or text input. Some apps work fine, but others crash, and what's more confusing is it's a mix of both factory and third party apps that crash. Here is a list of some of the apps that have crashed, and what causes the crash:

Simplest Checklist: trying to add an item.
Counter: trying to add a counting event.
Calculator: accessing the history and tapping old calculation.
Calendar: adding an event
Text Messaging: tapping "send" after typing message, even though the message sends, the app crashes.
SMemo: app opens to blank and then crashes.
Gallery: app opens to black then crashes.
Netflix: after Netflix logo flashes it goes to black and crashes. Thought it worked after I updated it and it went to the menu screen, but then resumed crashing at logo screen upon further openings.
Chrome and Stock Browsers: these work fine but when I tap the address bar to copy, paste or type an address it crashes, more so on Chrome, but on the stock browser only when on Quick Access home page.

Those are the ones i know so far. Other apps like Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, Fandango, Instagram, Amazon, Chrome, Google maps,or stock apps like stock browser, Samsung Music Player, and Camera still work fine. Bluetooth, Wifi connections also work.

I cannot really begin to explain how this sudden defect began. I have auto updates turned off, the last update I did was for a bank app 3 days prior, and unfortunately if a system or google app update happened overnight I wouldn't know because first thing i did was clear notifications. So far I have restarted the phone, turned off and removed battery then turned back on, cleared cache. I read somewhere to uninstall the Google App, or uninstall the updates, which I did and that did not work (I have not tried uninstalling all updates from the Google Play Store.) I also booted in safe mode, to which the same apps would still crash like before, removed the SD card and restarted, and lastly I did a Wipe of the Cache Partition, all of which have not solved the issue. Any help on the issue will be very much appreciated, and I can also provide any more information if needed. Thanks.
Hi, welcome to AC forums!
You have to understand that the s4 is about 6 years old and almost soon 5 major Android updates behind things are going be a issue like apps and operating system.

SirMoeHimself

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
I'm aware of that, it just seems weird that this happened overnight, literally. I mean some of those apps I was using just hours before, then the next day is when the issue occurred. Btw it's been three days (I'll edit my OP) since this happened and nothing has changed nor has anything gotten worse. So would going to the Google Play Store app in App manager and uninstalling all updates be a possible solution? I haven't tried that yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Play Store and look up Android System Webview. If it isn't up to date, then update it. But if it's already updated, try uninstalling updates, because sometimes an update can cause glitches for specific devices.

SirMoeHimself

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
Yes, Android System Web view is up to date. I believe I will indeed uninstall all updates via Play Store, as I recall doing that some time ago and it worked to fix an issue. I'm currently deleting some apps I don't use often so I can have less to uninstall and then update later. However it's late as of this posting so I will do that tomorrow, and as soon as I do I will post the result here. Thanks.

SirMoeHimself

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
Update: I haven't uninstalled updates yet as I had a rather busy day and still have things to do. However it has been 4 days and no worse changes. I have updated a few apps and they work ok. Will uninstall asap.