S4 won't charge, just gets hot

aareavis

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Specifically, a Samsung SCH-R970 from US Cellular.

A couple months ago, my phone went from staying charged for about 12 hours to about 6-8 hours. I didn't think much of it because my phone is about 18 months old.

About a month ago, it went from staying on 6-8 hours to about 2-4 hours as well as taking a whole day to charge up. Again, didn't think about it because I was charging from my laptop using a very cheap charger. I had lost my original charger ages ago and had been doing fine with off brand chargers.

One day, I went to plug it in and nothing. No lights came on, no charging symbol on the screen, nothing. I thought the cheap charger had broken. So, I borrowed a Note 4 charger from a friend. Nothing. I switched batteries, tried both chargers, and nothing happened. I let it sit for about ten minutes on the Note 4 charger. I came back and it was really warm to the touch so I unplugged it.

I Google my problem. One result suggested lint buildup in the charging port. I took a wooden toothpick and dug out quite a bit of lint. Plugged it in and nothing.

I Google some more. A couple results suggested replacing the charging assembly. I ordered the part from Amazon and it took a couple weeks to arrive. I replaced it tonight and still no power at all.

I let it sit for about two minutes and it got a little warm again (but not like before) but no power. No lights, no screen, nothing.

Interesting note: The phone heats up at the very top of the phone. When I opened it tonight to replace the port, a piece above the camera looked melted. However, having never opened a phone up, I wasn't sure this was normal.

I also googled for signs of water damage. I don't recall ever having it near liquid but I thought I'd look into it anyway. I learned about the stickers and none of them show signs of water damage.

I also don't recall dropping it and it has always been in a case.

Any ideas would be appreciated! (But keep in mind that I know almost nothing about phones but can follow detailed instructions.) Thanks!

joadha

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem almost exactly as you described. The only difference is, that mine just decided to stop charging altogether one night(there was no period leading up to it in which it would take a day to charge, as was your case). Another funny thing I noticed (and I'm not sure if this helps to troubleshoot) is that if I remove the battery, but keep the phone plugged into the charger, the phone will STILL get hot in the upper region.

This is really disappointing, because my girlfriend used this phone for 2 years with no problem before giving it to me (my S3 finally kicked the bucket a week ago). I was hoping to avoid buying a new phone.

Please update this thread if you find a solution to the problem. I'll do the same.

Ttellog

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Please updaye me on the issue.
HaveEXACTLY SAME PROBLEM.
Phone does not charge only hears up nearcamera spot.
Wsnt to avoid new phone

kingkod

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. S4 will not charge, zero power, and its gets hot at the top when trying to charge. Not sure what happened. One day it work and the next it was a brick. Not real happy with Samsung phones as a result of this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty