Wiped cache partition but now nothing works, what should I do?

Rich H1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Wiped cache partition but now nothing works

I have a galaxy s4 rooted running lollipop 5.0.2.

I went into recovery and cleared the cache partition. It completed very quickly then I rebooted. The samsung screen loaded then the sprint screen loaded but hung. Then a black screen appeared followed by multiple prompts telling me that various services and apps stopped working. I would press okay and another one would appear.

My phone seems completely bricked after this as all I can do is press okay to the prompts or press the power key. Other than that it is just a black screen.

I dont feel like doing a factory reset if I dont have to.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you:':)-\:-\:-\

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wiped cache partition but now nothing works

Welcome to the forums. I don't think you have much of a choice but to do a reset.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, it sounds like the phone is pretty seriously borked. I can't think of a way to repair this other than a reset. Sorry.

This is a good example of why I keep saying to leave the cache partition alone unless you have a problem that is cache-related.

The hot new trendy thing lately is clearing the cache partition, supposedly to increase performance.
Wrong!
It does not increase performance in the vast majority of instances. If anything, it decreases performance, wasting CPU cycles and power rebuilding caches.

Many people are clearing the cache often, even daily, treating it as regular maintenance.
Wrong!
See above. This is totally unnecessary and counterproductive.

People are saying that clearing the cache partition is safe, it doesn't hurt anything.
Wrong - sometimes.
This is being treated too casually. Actually, clearing the cache partition is a fairly serious proposition and should not be taken lightly. Things can go wrong. That they rarely do is really a tribute to the robustness of Android and Linux. Probably 99 times out of 100 or more the cache files will quietly rebuild themselves and no harm done other than wasted CPU cycles. But when things do go badly, it's a catastrophic, non-recoverable failure.

IOW, unless you have good reason to believe cache files are causing trouble, leave them alone! A device can be used for years very happily without giving cache files a thought.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Rich H1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Okay thank you and just to be sure resetting to factory does not delete my sd card data correct?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

It not supposed to but don't trust it. Backup everything in the phone that you don't want to lose before resetting.

Rich H1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

How do I back everything up if my computer cannot see the phone and I cannot turn on the phone?

Right now I have my phone connected to the computer and it cant see it. Samsung switch cannot see it either

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Hmmm...you have a problem.

Before resetting, pull the SD card just to be sure it's safe. If t have a card reader on your computer this would be a good time to make a backup copy.

Hopefully, you've been saving your contacts, calendar, etc to your Google account. If so you're good. If not, if they're only saved on the phone, then unless you did a manual backup your contacts are toast after resetting.

That's about it. AFAIK if the phone can't boot and can't be seen by the computer there's not much you can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii