SD Card Question

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I will just cut to the chase. I know we will not be able to have app data stored on the SD card anymore due to KitKat but will we be able to save photos and videos directly to to SD card? Also will apps like BeyondPod be able to save their files to the SD card. I keep reading conflicting explanations about the limitations on SD cards now. :-\

Thanks a ton for any information I really appreciate it!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There aren't really any limitations when it comes to the SD card it is just that the method to gain access has changed and app Dev need to update their apps to make use of the SD card on KitKat.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, any app can store data on the SD as long as 1) it's not program data and 2) it specifically has ownership to that folder (although the app has to be programmed to do so). So Pocket Cloud (which was updated for KitKat) can store podcasts on the SD card, but not program files.

Pictures and video can be saved directly to the SD card, but 3rd party apps can't save to the DCIM folder. Picture editing apps will need their own folder to save edits and can't be saved back to the DCIM folder either.

I can live with all of that, but the biggest pain will be copying files over the network to the SD card. The transfer app will only be able to copy to a specific folder and not a generic video folder, but only if the developer updates the app to create exclusive folders.

On a file storage level, it won't change much other than on an organizational level assuming the devs update their apps. But the big thing that's lost is if you wanted to move, say, 60mb of program data to the SD card. That won't be allowed anymore without root.

Again, that's how I understood Jerry's article. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a ton Cobravision & zedorda! That was very informative. I did some digging and found out that there is a way for BeyondPod to work on KitKat . So that coupled with the fact the stock camera app will be able to save to the SD card allows me to breathe a sigh of relief :D thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38