USB 3.0

madkoda12

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So In all of the unboxing videos that i've seen so far of the phone it comes with a regular 2.0 cable even though the phone uses the same tech as the note 3. I was wondering if anyone knew why that was or if anyone knew a place to buy a true oem samsung 3.0 cable. I saw these on amazon and by the reviews they seem legit, any opinions?

Amazon.com: Samsung USB 3.0 Sync Charge Data Cable for Galaxy Note 3 III / N9000 - Bulk Packaging (4ft. 11in): Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Authentic Original micro-USB 3.0 Charging Data Cable for SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 3 N9000 (White): Cell Phones & Accessories

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be purchasing the 3.0 charging cable simply because it would charge faster than 2.0

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Sh0wtime04

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
There is no difference in charging when using a wall outlet (USB 2.0 cable vs USB 3.0 cable). However, if charging from a USB port (computer, laptop etc.), THEN you will notice a difference between the 3.0 and 2.0 standard as 3.0 has increased the wattage output on the ports. It is all about Watts, Amps, and Volts. Get a 2A wall charger if you want a quick charge...

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
There is no difference in charging when using a wall outlet (USB 2.0 cable vs USB 3.0 cable). However, if charging from a USB port (computer, laptop etc.), THEN you will notice a difference between the 3.0 and 2.0 standard as 3.0 has increased the wattage output on the ports. It is all about Watts, Amps, and Volts. Get a 2A wall charger if you want a quick charge...

What about charging with your car cigarette lighter? Is there a difference between the 2.0 and 3.0?

Posted via Android Central App

Sh0wtime04

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
No expert on car electronics, but the bottleneck is not restricted by the physical cable itself, rather it's restricted by the outlet/port/cigarette lighter it receives its power from (or the rating on the port of your device).

So to answer your question, it's all about how many watts/amps your charger can provide.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
What about charging with your car cigarette lighter? Is there a difference between the 2.0 and 3.0?

Posted via Android Central App
I had this dilemma about a year ago when I wanted to charge my hp touchpad in the car but required a 2 amp charger. Here is a great tried and test charger:
Amazon.com: Anker? 24W Portable Dual-Port USB Car Charger with Built-in Micro USB Cable for Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8) and a USB Port for iPhone 5S 5C 5; iPad Air mini(White): Cell Phones & Accessories

this will charge a phone or tablet like it's plugged into the wall at home. I've had mine for a year and it's a beast!

mobile_phreak

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if the usb 3.0 was charging faster. Guess it's just because the battery is new. Also I have the T-mobile variant and it came with the 3.0 cable.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Does it look like a standard micro USB? If not it's 3.0, if so it's 2.0.

I also own a Kindle 9W Power Fast Charger for Accelerated Charging for my 2013 Kindle Fire HDX. Is that one USB 3.0? Can that charger be used to charge the Galaxy S5? It has a narrower device plug than the charger I use for my Garmin charger.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
att came with a 3.0 usb. what videos were you looking ?

I just looked at the Amazon site for the ATT Samsung Galaxy S5 and here is its port: "Micro-USB 2.0 (5-pin) port with mobile high-definition video link (MHL) for USB or HDMI connection (optional cable required for HDMI connection); 3.5mm stereo audio jack."

Thus, it doesn't matter what cable one uses. It comes with only a 2.0 port. A 3.0 cable will not change its speed unless the Amazon specs are wrong. The port on the S5 will also affect data transfer to and from the PC.

It appears my real 9W USB 3.0 9W charger for the 2013 Kindle Fire HDX will not fit. I won't receive my S5 unit until next Tuesday.

The irony is that on page 9 of the ATT Galaxy S5 Manual it is stated that one is supplied with a USB 3.0 cable and a charging head. That means either that manual or the Amazon specs are wrong.

Page 10 of the Manual shows that either a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 cable could be supplied. The first is colored black and the second is colored white. The first apparently goes into a smaller port inside the larger port.

From that picture it appears the Amazon specs were not completely clear.

The manual also states it should take 4 hours for a complete charge or less if not going from empty.

Last edited:

madkoda12

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
there were some vidoes on youtube of people who had gotten review units ahead of time and they only came with usb 2.0 cables, and I believe all the hands on videos from the phones announcement showed them plugged in with usb 2.0 cables...also unboxing videos of the european version all had 2.0 cables.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if the usb 3.0 was charging faster. Guess it's just because the battery is new. Also I have the T-mobile variant and it came with the 3.0 cable.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I don't think it does. My note 3 charges really fast and at first I thought it was due to the 3.0 charger. However I charged it with my S4 charger (2.0)and it charged just as quickly.

Posted from my galaxy note 3