Galaxy S5: Download booster is there... Just hidden.

Bryan Leonard

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
One of the guys in XDA found it via Nova launcher activities. I added it and am trying to figure out how to test it.

Choose Nova shortcuts:
uploadfromtaptalk1397286513050.jpg

Activities:
uploadfromtaptalk1397286577401.jpg

Settings:
uploadfromtaptalk1397286667674.jpg

Download booster
uploadfromtaptalk1397286695572.jpg

It adds an icon to the status bar:uploadfromtaptalk1397286745411.jpg

Trying to test it now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Download booster is there... Just hidden.

I read the reason carriers block it because it'll pull mobile data even if connected to wifi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

But I have it on my phone but when I go outside Imma test it...hopefully it works

Posted via Android Central App

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

I've been using download booster on tmo. Your not missing much. And you have to disable wifi calling.

Posted via Android Central App

Randall Lind

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

It works on T-Mobile just turn of wifi calling to enable. I had to call T-Mobile and while talking to a tech I discover that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It works on T-Mobile just turn of wifi calling to enable. I had to call T-Mobile and while talking to a tech I discover that.

T-Mobile has the download booster by default. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon had their download booster removed by the carrier. This thread is for them.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I read the reason carriers block it because it'll pull mobile data even if connected to wifi

That is the whole point of the feature to begin with. It uses both your cellular data + WiFi together to d/l faster. That excuse from the carriers is bull and they know it. They simply do not want people using cellular data if they can use WiFi and they certainly don't want people using both.

Since Samsung is pretty much toothless in the US they might as well starting doing to launches, one for the US minus the features the carriers will block and then the one everyone else gets with all the features that aren't blocked.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

That is the whole point of the feature to begin with. It uses both your cellular data + WiFi together to d/l faster. That excuse from the carriers is bull and they know it. They simply do not want people using cellular data if they can use WiFi and they certainly don't want people using both.

Since Samsung is pretty much toothless in the US they might as well starting doing to launches, one for the US minus the features the carriers will block and then the one everyone else gets with all the features that aren't blocked.

why wouldn't the carriers want that it's more money In their pocket

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

I think casual smartphone users with small data plans could end up being the problem here. Verizon and AT&T don't want to deal with people going over there data limits and not understanding why.

However, it should be available but only after going through some small hurdles to activate it.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I think casual smartphone users with small data plans could end up being the problem here. Verizon and AT&T don't want to deal with people going over there data limits and not understanding why.

However, it should be available but only after going through some small hurdles to activate it.
I also read there was an issue with limited bandwidth hot spots where there were many users on the hot spot such as Starbucks and this dl would be hogging extra bandwidth. People using home or work networks were not a problem but they just decided not to support it. My guess is they want to come up with something they can charge us to use a feature similar to this. Sad they got disable technology we pay for and some of the reason we purchase a certain device. VZW also disabled the pay with pay pal via the finger print feature.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

why wouldn't the carriers want that it's more money In their pocket

Likely because they are already struggling to actually offer anything close to decent speeds on their LTE networks. They are not adding capacity to their backhaul, Verizon's LTE in my market is around 8-10Mbps while AT&T is more 16-25Mbps. Verizon is lacking in quality, performance and overall benefits. The ONLY thing Verizon actually has that is worth while is the Edge program where you can trade in every 30 days if you pay 50% of your phone off. Not a bad deal, but the mere fact that the GN3 is still on JB4.3 and everyone else is on KK4.4.2 is a joke. They can push out KK4.4.2 to all other phones except for Samsung.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I agree in part with what you are saying, people will turn this feature on and then will forget to turn it off and then think they are on WiFi and really on both and eat up their data. Verizon has always set up the phones so that when you connect to WiFi even with Data turned on it will only use WiFi so this falls in line with their way of managing data use and network capacity. We all know they install that WiFi Nanny Nag alert which I just hate and so does everyone else.

However they don't care if you go over your limit they get $20 per Gigabit of extra data so go over your limit by a few MB or a few hundred MB and they could care less its money. What they don't want is users calling in whining, complaining

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It's not an issue with sprint or T-Mobile which Is unlimited data

I can understand they would wanna turn it off for sprint and T-Mobile

but for att & Verizon, it's a good opportunity to gouge their customers for data overages

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not an issue with sprint or T-Mobile which Is unlimited data

I can understand they would wanna turn it off for sprint and T-Mobile

but for att & Verizon, it's a good opportunity to gouge their customers for data overages

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon disabled it.

T-Mobile is the only one who didn't.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.