S5 overheating

Evilmadbaby3003

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Batery saver guys is true dont install batery saver beacuse samsung has android aplication for savceing batery and wenn you instal batery saver it will get hot mines got up to 54 deg celcius and wenn ay reinstal batery saver it was fine also earse aplication that you are not yousing on your phone

1Flyingmag

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
OK so I had my S5 for about a year, then it started getting really hot and losing battery power very quickly.
I deleted cache, disabled S Health, checked power saving was still on, went on forums to check for more solutions, took the battery out and pressed power and volume etc,bought a brand new Samsung battery, backed up my device, reset it to factory, let it sit there for an hour, and...........absolutely no change.

The S5 from new is under warranty for 2 years, so I went on the website, filled in a couple of forms and they sent me a pack to send it back to them. A nice chap rang me up today and said that the phone has two lots of software running on it, the OS (Android) and the Firmware. The firmware had become corrupted and had instructed the phone to use far more power than it needed even for the simplest of tasks. It is not a job I could have done at home. They have reinstalled the firmware and have had it through a hardware and software stress test which it has passed. I can expect it back on Friday, less than 4 days after sending it away. Great stuff Samsung, I'm well impressed, just when I though the world was going to S... something nice happens. :) :D

Last edited:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My S5 drains battery like crazy and gets warm under normal conditions. I used to be able to reach 6-7 hours of screen on time, now I max out at 3:30.

I have factory reset and done everything to deal with the issues and nothing has helped. I am planning to go to a Samsung Service Center next week and have them replace the device or at least the battery.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Kevin Francis2

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
41 is not considered too hot. Have you noticed issues like random reboots, shut downs, very sluggish performance or anything like that? Have any warnings popped up on the screen telling you that it's too hot, or the LED flashing at all? Does it charge normally when you plug it in?

I just woke up and my S5 was off. After turning it back on a box appeared telling me it overheated. I then looked over my phone more and notice it literally burnt the bottom half of the back of my phone and burnt the charging port a tad bit. Will at&t see this as a reason to let me get a new s5?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just woke up and my S5 was off. After turning it back on a box appeared telling me it overheated. I then looked over my phone more and notice it literally burnt the bottom half of the back of my phone and burnt the charging port a tad bit. Will at&t see this as a reason to let me get a new s5?

That would be up to AT&T. I would take it in and let them look at it. Take your charger with you too.

cliffsloane555

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I have suddenly faced some problems with my S5, and I suspect overheating too. Looking for tech advice.

1. Only in the last couple of days, the phone boots up with the incorrect date (0700 on Sunday, 20 April 2014). The warning of this comes entirely from WhatsApp, and the time is corrected within 10 seconds of getting connected to the network.

2. When I try to launch a program, it shuts down before the program has started. Not every time, but about once every 5 or 6 launched. After that happens, pushing the On/Off does nothing, and I have to remove the battery. This is true whether it is plugged in or not.

3. When charging, the phone is very warm to the touch, warmer than before. It charges to 100%, but I also suspect there is a battery issue.

4. The phone behaves more stably if I remove the backing, but that may just be an impression.

5. CPU temperature is higher than normal, in the 56+ range. Before, a high temp would be about 3 to 5 degrees C less.

6. The weather has been terribly hot and the phone lives in an un-air conditioned room. Daytime highs exceed 42 C.

What have I done?
1. I allowed the battery to go to zero, then recharged it to 100%. It took a little more than two hours. The result is that I could shut down and restart two times before that Time setting problem happened again.
2. I uninstalled Talkatone, which was persistently starting on startup. No difference.
3. I regularly use Clean Master and Battery Doctor, both of which report no problems and behave exactly the same.

Is this enough to go on?

power4rmor

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
My Galaxy S5 heats up to 70c+ when I play hearthstone or use waze or use normal phone task for more than 10 minutes. I sent it to the service center and they just reset it and updated it to lollipop which didn't help at all.

Some people say that the device should never reach 70c or it will be considered as an hardware issue. I would like to know what is the actual threshold for the S5?

s5user1

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I got my galaxy s5+ (SM-G901F) yesterday and from the start I noticed that the device gets hot. Not so hot that you can't hold it anymore but too hot to hold it comfortably. I measured the cpu temperature and the battery temp with CPU temp and discovered that my phone (cpu) went from 29 degrees celcius (84 degrees fahrenheit) in the morning to 40 degrees celsius (104 degrees fahrenheit) in 10 minutes of use and this was only webbrowsing and looking at cpu temp.
Also I could feel the phone getting warm in my pocket while I wasn't using it. I also ran antutu benchmark and the phone went to 82 degrees celcius (180 degrees fahrenheit) in that benchmark that last only for 5-10 minutes.
Also I called someone today and I saw an instant increase in temperature of the CPU to 72 degrees celcius (161 degrees fahrenheit).
The battery itself was around 39 degrees celcius during the day (102 degrees fahrenheit). Also when I used my phone and shut it down and removed the backcover, it smelled very strange at the entrance of the battery.

The battery also was draining too fast with 2,5 hours of screen time I only had 29% left of the battery. (I used my phone from 8:00 am untill 14:00 pm)

I didn't trust it, so today I called the shop where i bought it. They also said this couldn't be normal and I get a new phone in a few days. Hopefully this will fix it and it was just bad luck. I let you know! Otherwise I will ask the shop for my money back and get a different phone, what's the point of a smartphone if you can't use it as such?

Last edited:

s5user1

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Today I received my new galaxy s5 plus and I have to say it has been much and much better than the previous one. The battery drains not as much and it is much cooler. battery around 33 degrees celcius and cpu around 42 degrees celcius when browsing and scrolling through android. The HRM test (using *#0*# ) even shows 31 degrees celcius. The big difference in battery temperature is why the phone doesn't feel so hot anymore. Sow I am pleased now. I called the shop today and asked them if I could get a s5 with kitkat instead of lollipop. This wasn't possible but the guy on the phone said that if I flashed the phone with the stock firmware of android kitkat the warrenty wouldn't expire. So if I experience any overheating or battery draining in the future I will certainly consider this.
I also read that maybe the battery draining and overheating has something to do with mobile data (google for "mobile radio bug"). So when I booted my phone I made certain that the mobile data wasn't on. After a while I returned it back on and never had any problems since. I only have it for a day now so maybe things will change.
I also didn't allow google to backup anything of my phone. I figured I will do this myself regulary. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
Luckily in holland we have a 14 day not satisfied, return policy. So I can try it out the coming week.

Last edited:

Jeanie Lee

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Samsung S5 for less than 6 months. It overheats regularly, and got very hot to the touch. Yesterday morning it reset itself to factory settings automatically, and I lost all of my pictures, videos, contacts and apps. I hadn't even been using it at the time. I was only charging it. Then last night, I opened it up to see the inside and saw a yellowish substance in many locations inside the phone. The substance was warm and sticky. I put the battery back in, and my phone would not start back up. I thought if it cooled down it might start up, but still no ... I double-checked that the battery was in securely, still no ... I removed and replaced the SIM card, still no ... This is an expensive device, so for it to be so defective since I first started using it is very very disappointing. I will never use a Samsung phone again. I used an iPhone 4S prior to this, and will go back to that. I never had the same problems with my iPhone 4s, and it is still in pristine condition. The Android interface was fine ... but the phone itself, having to charge it so often, consistently overheating, and now it's completely dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez