Add/remove SD card when phone is off?

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
A co-worker and I were chatting at the dinner table and as he saw me pop of the back cover of my phone and throw in my new SD card, he told me that I should not do that and I must power off first. I have been doing it this was for years with no problems. I thought earlier versions of Android did not really like the use doing this but the most recent, I thought it was okay. Yay or nay?

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have never turned off my android phone to install or remove the microSD. Just as long as you go into storage settings and unmount before you remove, you should not have any issues.

Posted via Android Central App

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Your friend is silly really. It's not going to cause any lasting issues. ANything caused by removal would be rectified by reinsertion.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Your friend is silly really. It's not going to cause any lasting issues. ANything caused by removal would be rectified by reinsertion.

This is just plain bad advice and irresponsible. If your modifying a document or photo on the SD card and remove it without unmounting it. You are very likely going to corrupt the file and reinsertion isn't going to fix any of it.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, if you are modifying a file - I apologise for my lack of explanation but if you don't have any apps open and you aren't running anything from the SD I don't see how it's going to cause any issue, although un mounting takes about 5 second so I don't know why i'm saying this

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to unmount to remove it while phone is on?

-Sent from Tapatalk

Unmounting insures that no data corruption can happen. Now that not to say you have to everytime. If you don't write anything on the card since your last insertion then you shouldn't have to unmount but it just a good habit to do it in case you forget.

kn0ckd0wn

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Similar topic...

I'm always really good at safely removing the SD card from my S3, but for some reason I completely forgot to unmount/ turn off the phone before removing the SD card. I was trying to transfer my pictures from the SD card to the PC, but now with the SD card in the PC it doesn't show any picture files. I had transferred the pictures from the S3 to the SD card a few hours earlier so I'm not quite sure if the phone was still actively using the SD card??? If it was and I unsafely removed the SD card, I can understand that I lost the data/ corrupted the files. Also, I'm an ***** and I have no backup of the pictures.

I'm scared to mess with the SD so I haven't done anything to it.

Can I simply put it back into the phone and remount it, and then will the data on the card be restored/ recognized? Or are the pictures lost forever?

I would appreciate any recommendations. I hope I didn't lose all my pictures :/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress