Help...Maps/GPS/Location All Acting Very Weird

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
So everything seems to be functioning fine on my phone but I realize I hadn't tried out the Google navigation. So I used voice directions to ask the phone to "navigate to ------." I knew there was something wrong immediately because even though it seemed to have my location correctly on the map that opened up, it instructed me to start out on a road that was at least three miles away from where I was at the time. Later there were no voice instructions of any kind and I started getting a little blinking notification in my notification bar saying "looking for location." Every once in a while it would stop blinking and indicated that "location found" but navigation still wasn't working.

So I checked and rechecked all my location settings (including Google location services) and they are all set to "on." I cycled the phone on and off a few times and even did a battery pull last time before I turned it on. Still no resolution. I REALLY don't want to do a factory reset as hours and hours of customization, etc. will go down the drain. My fear is that this is likely to be the standard advice given to me if and when I go to the Vz store for assistance.

Do any of you have any thoughts or advice before I'm forced to do a factory reset?

HELP!!!!!

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So everything seems to be functioning fine on my phone but I realize I hadn't tried out the Google navigation. So I used voice directions to ask the phone to "navigate to ------." I knew there was something wrong immediately because even though it seemed to have my location correctly on the map that opened up, it instructed me to start out on a road that was at least three miles away from where I was at the time. Later there were no voice instructions of any kind and I started getting a little blinking notification in my notification bar saying "looking for location." Every once in a while it would stop blinking and indicated that "location found" but navigation still wasn't working.

So I checked and rechecked all my location settings (including Google location services) and they are all set to "on." I cycled the phone on and off a few times and even did a battery pull last time before I turned it on. Still no resolution. I REALLY don't want to do a factory reset as hours and hours of customization, etc. will go down the drain. My fear is that this is likely to be the standard advice given to me if and when I go to the Vz store for assistance.

Do any of you have any thoughts or advice before I'm forced to do a factory reset?

HELP!!!!!

I have noted previously in these threads that I was able to fix a software bug by switching to ART runtime in the developer options. It reconfigures the whole OS and all your apps, so it might fix software problems similar to a factory reset without losing customizations. You can then switch back to Dalvik later (which you will need to do to get OS updates and such).

http://m.androidcentral.com/how-enable-samsung-galaxy-s5-developer-options

Posted via Android Central App