Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DJDJDJDJ
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question New S5, missing Mute, and dialer

Hi,

I just got my new Galaxy S5 and seem to not know how to enable some of the missing item. This is my first Android phone (coming from the dark side).

Attached image shows that when I make a call or receive it, my screen does not show dialer buttons, mute button, or the additional caller/conference button. I have looked at all different settings that I could think of but can't seem to fix this. I have tried this using headset as well as speaker phone.

I was able to bring up dialer button (only) if I go to home screen during the call and open up phone again. This time I can use the dialer buttons but still no mute or conf buttons.

Thank you for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New S5, missing Mute, and dialer-screenshot_2014-04-28-12-00-49_resized-small-.png  

Default Re: New S5, missing Mute, and dialer

Well that is odd. I just dialed my work phone to test it out and I have 6 buttons at the bottom.
    Add call
    Keypad
    End Call
    Speaker
    Mute
    Bluetooth

I'm using stock TouchWiz and on T-Moble. No fancy app for calling out or in either.

Just an FYI, I hardly use my phone as a phone. That's why I never noticed.
    Just my dad and his sister are old school and talk on the phone. And a few other people. I call sometimes, but hardly ever and never noticed the buttons, so I had to check it out.

That seems as if you were on Easy Mode instead of normal, Can you check if you enabled by mistake that option under Settings-Personalization-Easy Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by DJDJDJDJ View Post
    Hi,

I just got my new Galaxy S5 and seem to not know how to enable some of the missing item. This is my first Android phone (coming from the dark side).

Attached image shows that when I make a call or receive it, my screen does not show dialer buttons, mute button, or the additional caller/conference button. I have looked at all different settings that I could think of but can't seem to fix this. I have tried this using headset as well as speaker phone.

I was able to bring up dialer button (only) if I go to home screen during the call and open up phone again. This time I can use the dialer buttons but still no mute or conf buttons.

Thank you for any help.

Where did you purchase the phone? Is it possible that the salesman made some settings to the phone for you before you took it home?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi guys,

Yes, I have checked it; it is not i the easy mode. It is a strange one for me. :-(

As with all CPU based equipment you should do a RESET to see if it clears the mute issue. May be just a glitch in the software.

Global Posts
    5,938 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Where are you located? Is this an international version of the S5? (The 44 on the number)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have restarted it multiple times but of no use.

I am based in the UK and it is a Vodafone (UK) phone. It is from VodaFone so it is not an import model.

Global Posts
    5,938 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I have restarted it multiple times but of no use.

I am based in the UK and it is a Vodafone (UK) phone. It is from VodaFone so it is not an import model.
    Have you done a reset since multiple restarts haven't worked? Maybe swap that bad boy out.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Reset is not that easy for me unfortunately as I have to reinstall our corporate email which requires approvals etc. If it reset everything, I have to reconfigure email. :-( I guess I have no choice but to try that or get a replacement.

Global Posts
    5,938 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Reset is not that easy for me unfortunately as I have to reinstall our corporate email which requires approvals etc. If it reset everything, I have to reconfigure email. :-( I guess I have no choice but to try that or get a replacement.
    Either way you will have to set up the corporate email again.

I am not sure if this helps or hinders but I am confronted with the same issue re the dialler. I am in Australia and on a telstra contract. My model number is SM-G900I. The new phone dialler sets the phone back about 10 years i feel. It is absolute rubbish.

Can anyone suggest a good app to use instead?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

OK, I reset my phone last night and lo and behold, my dialer is back to normal. All of the buttons are back. I have no idea what caused it behave like it did being a brand new phone. Also, I had a google backup which got restored after the reset so I still have all the app before. This tells me it wasn't one of the apps either that caused this issue.

Thanks everyone.
    ibcop likes this.

Global Posts
    5,938 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

At least it got worked out - sometimes a reset works wonders.

I had this problem as well. I restored the factory settings and it did not help.

I then did the reset and it is working now.

The Easy Mode/Standard Mode was a great suggestion and just solved a lot of challenges I had been having with my Galaxy S5. Thanks!