Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By itguy14
  • 1 Post By bassplayrguy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    I have a 64GB Micro SD card in my S5 and when I record in Ultra High Def, I get a timer on the top left that shows I only have 5 minutes worth of recording time. Is that the limit to the UHD file size?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Most likely, but I can't be sure as I don't own the phone. I've read they do this because the file sizes are too large and recording in 4k causes the phone to overheat.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    My note 3 has the same limit

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    My note 3 has the same limit

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Yes that is the limit, you can always hit record again and shoot another 5 minute segment though. Honestly I would just leave it on HD, the UHD files are so huge that you will eat up your storage very quickly and if you don't have a 4K TV, then what's really the point? I do have a Samsung 4K TV and wouldn't bother shooting in UHD, this is obviously a personal thing but the upconverting on the TV does a really good job so I'd be fine with the HD content.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
    Yes that is the limit, you can always hit record again and shoot another 5 minute segment though. Honestly I would just leave it on HD, the UHD files are so huge that you will eat up your storage very quickly and if you don't have a 4K TV, then what's really the point? I do have a Samsung 4K TV and wouldn't bother shooting in UHD, this is obviously a personal thing but the upconverting on the TV does a really good job so I'd be fine with the HD content.
    You might not have a 4k tv now, but what about in 10 years?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:
    Jon Jackson likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    I wonder if there's a way to change this by editing csc files after rooting...

    -Sent from Tapatalk
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You might not have a 4k tv now, but what about in 10 years?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    You won't have your note 3 or an s5 in ten years though.

    You might keep the videos you shot for ten years, but by then 4k will look like garbage compared to what's in the future

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    I wonder if there's a way to change this by editing csc files after rooting...

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    I don't think you'd want to though, the phone will overheat and cause problems. That's the main reason why they do this

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I don't think you'd want to though, the phone will overheat and cause problems. That's the main reason why they do this

    Posted via Android Central App
    I thought it was because of the file size?

    -Sent from Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    I thought it was because of the file size?

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    It's because of both, but the overheating is the main reason

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    You won't have your note 3 or an s5 in ten years though.

    You might keep the videos you shot for ten years, but by then 4k will look like garbage compared to what's in the future

    Posted via Android Central App
    Might be the case that it doesn't look as good as whatever is available then, but in 10 years, 4k would still look better than 1080p.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    diamondRanch likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You might not have a 4k tv now, but what about in 10 years?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    In ten years you won't have the S5.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
    Y Honestly I would just leave it on HD, the UHD files are so huge that you will eat up your storage very quickly and if you don't have a 4K TV, then what's really the point? I do have a Samsung 4K TV and wouldn't bother shooting in UHD, this is obviously a personal thing but the upconverting on the TV does a really good job so I'd be fine with the HD content.
    I can think go 2 reasons off the top of my head:
    1. A 4k file downconverted to 1080p will look better than something shot in 1080p natively. Same with pictures - even if your destination is the web at 1024x768 it's best to shoot at full resolution and resize. Your pics will look much better.

    2. You want to shoot at the highest resolution for future-proofing. Cause when that 8k TV comes out your 4k stuff will still look really good. It's still applicable to film. We can still get awesome digital images from 35mm film because the resolution of film is very high.
    diamondRanch likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    In ten years you won't have the S5.
    He will still have his sd card though. Most don't have their phone more than a year. I upgraded to new model when they come out.

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    In ten years you won't have the S5.
    True but I would still keep the video. I take some irreplaceable videos of my daughter on my note 3. In 10 years my note 3 would be long gone but the videos would remain. I also backup the videos to multiple locations in case one fails.

    If you only need plan to keep the video for the useful of the s5 and don't plan to get a 4k tv within that time then sure, no need to record in 4k.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  16. #16  

    Default Re: 5 Minute Recording Limit in Ultra High Def?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    True but I would still keep the video. I take some irreplaceable videos of my daughter on my note 3. In 10 years my note 3 would be long gone but the videos would remain. I also backup the videos to multiple locations in case one fails.

    If you only need plan to keep the video for the useful of the s5 and don't plan to get a 4k tv within that time then sure, no need to record in 4k.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Right on. I was going another direction and didn't think about keeping the sd card. I am brain dead today.
    diamondRanch likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Apps filtering in...
    By U4icLab in forum Samsung Gear 2 & Gear 2 Neo
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 11:25 PM
  2. Issue with some options cut off in beginning
    By leighh1209 in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 07:09 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 04:08 PM
  4. New Game, fresh in Google Play, Totems JELLY!
    By Didem Games in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 03:06 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 02:49 AM

Posting Permissions