Galaxy S5: Private Mode not avaialble in ART Runtime, but is in DALVIK?

ziva2006

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone switched over to using the ART Runtime under developer options instead of DALVIK, and then had issues using the "Private Mode" option?

I switched over to ART yesterday to see any real difference (nothing big I experienced, except three times longer wait while optimizing applications), then later in the afternoon also wanted to try out the "Private Mode" for documents/ files etc... and it would not work.

Is this due to it being a different file system type or what?

Dan McCort

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Same thing for me. Galaxy S5(G900F). Private mode works fine on Dalvik. Convert to ART and Private mode stops. Switch back to Dalvik, it works again.
Unfortunately I use Private mode a lot so I can't use ART. :(
Definitely incompatible runtime environment. See here for info. https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html
ART is only on the phone for developers etc. at this stage, not a full supported version.
So until an update comes out for ART to allow Private mode, and/or Dalvik is officially replaced by ART, I'm stuck with Dalvik.
It'll happen eventually.

Pichu Generations

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone switched over to using the ART Runtime under developer options instead of DALVIK, and then had issues using the "Private Mode" option?

I switched over to ART yesterday to see any real difference (nothing big I experienced, except three times longer wait while optimizing applications), then later in the afternoon also wanted to try out the "Private Mode" for documents/ files etc... and it would not work.

Is this due to it being a different file system type or what?

Well, for technical reasons ART Runtime does not work with Private Mode. But you can create a folder on your device named .Private (basically .name (replace name with folder name)) and it will work the exact same way. To be able to view the file, go into ES File Browser (or My Files) settings and tick the box "view hidden files".

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, for technical reasons ART Runtime does not work with Private Mode. But you can create a folder on your device named .Private (basically .name (replace name with folder name)) and it will work the exact same way. To be able to view the file, go into ES File Browser (or My Files) settings and tick the box "view hidden files".

I never knew this thanx worked perfectly

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member