My Voice-to-Text is getting wonky on my Samsung S5

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I have a one year old Samsung S5 that has been working well, but the voice-to-text function (which I use a LOT in my business) has been acting WEIRD lately. Before perhaps a month ago, I had no real problems with this function.

I am on the AT&T Network, and often use an AT&T Mini-Cell Tower using the Internet router because at our home, we don't get a sufficient raw cell signal.

I've always had the issue where the phone will alter my text thinking it was what I wanted (after typing it correctly the first time), but I realize that this is just the application's AI choosing what it thinks best.

But NOW, very frequently, when I stop speaking (or am still speaking), the application "takes over" continues typing into the text box as if I were still talking (which I am not). It will usually type for maye 15-20 seconds with the choice of text usually being snippets of the preceding text that I dictated.

Once it begins to do this, I have no control at all. Nothing I can do by "pressing buttons" will do a thing until it just seems to get tired and stops. Sometimes, it will then start removing some of what it typed (the text gets deleted like I am striking the back-shift key), but always I have to back-space back to the last portion I actually dictated, and properly complete my text.

When this happens, the green symbol that pulses when I speak expands and stays expanded rather than like when I speak and the circle size varies as I speak. It's like it's frozen.

Due to the nature of how I use my texting, I quite often dictate 2 or 3 paragraphs, and lately, this "wonky behavior" affects probaby 1 or 2 out of every 3 long texts I dictate.

Is this my PHONE, the APPLICATION, or in the SERVER my phone accesses to accomplish the voice-to-text feature? I ask because sometimes Voice-to-text just doesn't work. When I speak, the green circle pulses as I speak, but no text is generated. This happens mostly with weak phone signals.

Suggestions or fixes?

Thanks,
Bob

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm...

So you are saying that this flaw that suddenly popped up is common, and the Samsung app is a poor one? I guess after months o use it starts failing?

Not sure how to have the "Microphone" symbol on my Text Keyboard activate Google Voice to Text so IT fills in my text box like Samsung voice-to-text presently does instead.

I will do a Google search, but if you can link me to how to do it, it would be most appreciated. I am no technical wizard with smart phones, I am afraid.

The reason I ditched iPhones is that it was AWFUL on voice to text. It seemed to be optimized for social use (It wanted to replace words it typed onto the page with proper names), and not for use in my auto repair business. I am not alone in that criticism of iPhone. I was told that voice to text in iPhone is actually done not in the phone, but in the server, cloud, or somewhere off-site.

I send between 10 and 25 fairly long texts a day, so I hope that using Google text can be a simple substitution not needing multiple steps for each text.

Thanks,
Bob

I just found these instructions, and will give it a try!
Thanks again.

Use Google Voice Typing to Enter Text-
While entering text, drag down from the top of the screen to open the notification panel, and then tap Select keyboard > Google voice typing. Tap Voice input on the Samsung keyboard. Touch and hold Settings on the Samsung keyboard, and then tap Voice input .

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Lol...google voice to text is much much better.

Ok go to settings >general >language and input >on screen keyboard >manage keyboard >toggle on Google voice and toggle off Samsung voice and enjoy a better experience . Screenshot_20200114-232155_Settings.jpeg

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Did it, and it's better...

BUT

Sometimes even with Google Text it runs away, typing text like mad when I am silent!
Seems like less often "text runaway" but it did it this morning.

Yesterday my Samsung Tab A Tablet did the same as I was voice-typing an email. It just kept generating text after I went silent.

This NEVER used to happen (prior to maybe 30 days ago) and is strictly a recent development. I guess the Tablet uses Samsung voice-text as well, but it's interesting that it happens using Samsung AND Google voice text.

On the positive side, The Google voice text produces many FEWER errors and more faithfully and accurately produces what I say.

But the spontaneous, self generating text is still happening.

Do you know if voice-text is generated 100% INSIDE the device or does it need to be connected to a WiFi or Phone Data connection, using something it accesses THERE?

Just trying to find out why my devices are doing this! Weird, and no one else says they have noticed this behavior.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Being the s5 is no longer supported for android OS updates and security, it's very outdated OS .
You can try and monitor it in safe mode see how it is .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred