Are you having Bank of America check deposit issue on S5?

edditnyc

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bank of America check deposit issue

It was a larger margin for sure. Should have thought of that but was trying too hard to keep the edges close to the apps edges. Forget that. Give it room and make sure you have enough light. Deposit your stacks.

tishylu67

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

I had been using the deposit app for over a year, and suddenly the whole program changed. It took over 20 minutes to get the first of two check photos to register on the app. I called the bank's tech dept...turns out their new format requires Android 4.1 or newer - mine was an older version. I really feel the Bank is not considering those of us who do not update our phones every year (like, due to CONTRACTS and such, plus the COST involved!). The old app worked just fine. It is a case of B of A not being considerate of their customer base!

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

I can duplicate the issue 100% of the time. Make sure the check is in the box by a big margin. Make sure there is visible space between the check and corner marks. When I make the check only fill 3/4 of the box, it works every time.

I can validate that this works.

Posted via Android Central App

JR Hill

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I never had problems with a deposit picture with my old HTC Rezound but on the 1st try with a new Droid Maxx the picture was too fuzzy and was not accepted.

Try this - it worked for me: while holding the phone at the correct distance (had the blurry image), touch the screen anywhere on the check image. For me, the image immediately became sharp for an acceptable picture.

Best,
JRH

jsparks33

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

The key to solving the problem is lighting and distance. I just had the same problem with a new Verizon One M8 after NEVER having an issue with my T-Mobile MyTouch or One S. What I ultimately tried with the One M8 is pulling back and centering the check so it's smaller -- almost filling only 40% of the frame on the Bank of America photo crop marks. I believe this is because of the higher resolution of the new cameras. I also used the same desk lamp to flood light on the check, but I ALSO turned on the flash. At that distance, the camera somehow took a clear photo and the B of A app accepted the check. I then tried the same thing with a smaller check I wrote to myself. Used the same basic distance out from the check (a smaller image than I would ever imagine it would accept). Lamp flooding the check AND flash on -- no problem. Try these tactics and see if it works for you. Maybe we're sending more pixels than the B of A app can handle.

I was trying to deposit two checks using the Bank of America app. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't accept the images, saying it was either too dark or that all corners were not in frame (neither was true). I tried 10 times with one check (even more because I had to retake the back of the check 100 times because it wouldn't focus properly) and 5 times with the other. Then I dusted off my S4 and deposited both on the first try.

There's nothing wrong with the S5 camera, and the preview images looked fine. Anyone else having an issue?

jsparks33

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

My Verizon One M8 requires the flash AND a second light source. The check image is also smaller than 3/4 -- I pulled out till the check was filling perhaps only 40 - 45% of the frame. But it finally worked by pulling out and lighting the death out of the check.

GLLOCK

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

My LG2G takes the pictures fine and they are accepted. I get all the way to choosing the account, placing in the amount, with no problem, but then hit the continue button and nothing happens. I called BOA and they suggested I uninstall and reinstall the app, which I did and it still does not work. I don't think they have a clue. Has anyone else had this particular problem and/or know a resolution to the problem.

tech_dave

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

The advice to make the check 3/4 or less of the box worked for me first try also. Thanks!! I was so frustrated. This is only the 2nd check I've attempted since getting my HTC One M8. Last time I also gave up and drove to the atm. I thought I'd give it another try today, which failed until I tried your tip. Thanks again!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

The key to solving the problem is lighting and distance. I just had the same problem with a new Verizon One M8 after NEVER having an issue with my T-Mobile MyTouch or One S. What I ultimately tried with the One M8 is pulling back and centering the check so it's smaller -- almost filling only 40% of the frame on the Bank of America photo crop marks. I believe this is because of the higher resolution of the new cameras. I also used the same desk lamp to flood light on the check, but I ALSO turned on the flash. At that distance, the camera somehow took a clear photo and the B of A app accepted the check. I then tried the same thing with a smaller check I wrote to myself. Used the same basic distance out from the check (a smaller image than I would ever imagine it would accept). Lamp flooding the check AND flash on -- no problem. Try these tactics and see if it works for you. Maybe we're sending more pixels than the B of A app can handle.

I will also say that this is the main crux of problems with bank apps for depositing checks.

I did a lot of experimenting, changed the light source, changed the distance, changed the background surface, changed the pixel size.

here is my little list of must do steps:

• find a black background. a solid black towel works great, it is non-reflective
  • back off until the check fills only about 75% of the display area.
  • Different pixel size images does not seem to make a difference
  • Make sure the image is as near rectangular perfect as you can get it. Funny tilts and warped images are rejected.
  • Use a Black or dark Blue ink pen, that has a Medium or thicker point. Fine point ball pens get rejected for me.
  • Light Source: it must be from the side and non-glaring. My best success rate has been with florescent lamps at about 30 degrees to either side. Yes I use two, one on the left and one on the right.

That's my little punch list. Almost works every time now. Attention to detail is important with bank apps. They are very picky about what images they will accept.

Barth Maher

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S6. Reduced the image to maybe 50% of the size and worked like a charm. Really pretty counter-intuitive to what I've been trying to fill the whole area up with the check. Thanks a lot everybody for the help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rosario Mendez

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

I had the same issue and almost gave up until I found this post. I only had success when I included the entire check. Even putting in under great light and focusing perfectly didn't work until I included all four corners. Thanks pgordemer. You saved me a not so quick trip to the bank!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

You need to leave about a 10 percent margin around the check on all four sides.

I have done a lot of practice with those bank apps, and if you put a black towel or other black object behind the check, it works 100 percent, well at least 99.8% :)