Are all factory resets the same?

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
regardless of how you do the factory reset? (Settings menu item under "backup and reset", or holding power button and volume up/down button do to factory reset option, or via Kies). Just curious whether they all do exact same thing. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they all wipe user data and restore the phone back to factory settings. Any of the options you mentioned will work fine for what you're trying to do :)

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
If one holds the power button for a minute and is offered a "restart" option, is that a factory reset or just equivalent to a shut down and then a power up?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
If one holds the power button for a minute and is offered a "restart" option, is that a factory reset or just equivalent to a shut down and then a power up?

It removes all USER DATA and restores the device back to factory settings providing that the device is not rooted. User data is defined as apps, call logs, contacts, and anything else the user has placed in the devices memory. Stuff that is on the SDCARD is not affected by a factory reset. A factory reset really only deals with the Data and the Cache partitions.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
The 'Restart' option is just a shut down followed by an automatic power up.

Thanks. I'll use that Restart in the future, if needed, rather than the separate steps of Shut Down and then Power Up.

I'll only use it if some app like Google Play goes out of control soaking up battery juice. It seems to cure that problem when needed.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I'll use that Restart in the future, if needed, rather than the separate steps of Shut Down and then Power Up.

I'll only use it if some app like Google Play goes out of control soaking up battery juice. It seems to cure that problem when needed.

Yeah, a 'restart' is what I do (and most users) when I want to 'refresh' my device after being on for a few days/weeks/months. Lately, I've been refreshing (restarting) on a weekly basis.