Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CrazyChazz
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fingerprint scanner and alternate password stopped working

I love my S5. Have been using the fingerprint scanner to unlock without a problem since day 1.

Today, it wouldn't recognize my prints at all.

I went in to try to re-register them, and it won't allow me to. It asks for my alternate password, and doesn't recognize it. I know I'm typing in the correct password.

If I click on change alternate password, it accepts it, and asks me to type in a new password (twice). Upon the second time, an error message pops up saying there is an issue with the scanner and to restart the device, which I've now done three times.

Any suggestions? For now, I was able to change to pattern unlock.

Fingerprint scanner and alternate password stopped working-screenshot_2014-06-01-10-58-15.jpg

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Fingerprint scanner and alternate password stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by chefmorry View Post
    I love my S5. Have been using the fingerprint scanner to unlock without a problem since day 1.

I went in to try to re-register them, and it won't allow me to. It asks for my alternate password, and doesn't recognize it. I know I'm typing in the correct password.

If I click on change alternate password, it accepts it, and asks me to type in a new password (twice). Upon the second time, an error message pops up saying there is an issue with the scanner and to restart the device, which I've now done three times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-01-10-58-15.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	121019

its definitely a software issue
    give a factory reset
    Dont' Forget to press Thank you button and like button when you get an answer

If you have Registered with Google Device Manager, you can go on the web and reset the password there.

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...ger&authuser=0

For this to work, the DATA must be on, or a WiFi connection working.
    Verizon Galaxy S5
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    If you have Registered with Google Device Manager, you can go on the web and reset the password there.

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...ger&authuser=0

For this to work, the DATA must be on, or a WiFi connection working.
    Come to think of it, I just downloaded device manager to my phone yesterday. I wonder if the app somehow screwed up my saved fingerprints/alternate password?

I am having the same issue. I remember using private mode just a few days ago and it worked. Today private mode and fingerprint scanner do not work. I tried the solution about ADM with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by chefmorry View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-01-10-58-15.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	121019

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by TenorioSLP View Post
    I am having the same issue. I remember using private mode just a few days ago and it worked. Today private mode and fingerprint scanner do not work. I tried the solution about ADM with no success.
    Also tried ADM. It changes your unlock mode to password, but I still cannot unregister my fingerprints. It seems as if both my fingerprint files and my alternate password files are corrupt.

Not what you want, but a total Factory Reset will get you back working again.
    Verizon Galaxy S5
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Not what you want, but a total Factory Reset will get you back working again.
    That I realize.... I was hoping that there was something else I could do. Have not tried clearing cache in the recovery menu. Guessing that won't do anything.
    Really don't want to factory reset after spending a month with the phone to start all over.

I can't believe this happened to me too.. I have been using the phone for a month exactly.. Samsung should fix this. I know im putting the alternate password right and then i get the same error message. Now i will attempt factory reset.

The easiest way to fix this is to: 1. Reset the password using the Google Device Manager (if you have registered) or 2. Enter the password at least 5 times but less than 10. (You may have a setting checked to erase all data with 10 wrong passwords.) After 5 passwords hit cancel and the phone will give you an option to unlock with your gmail account.

STOP! Once you have access Go To: Settings>Personal>Fingerprint and delete all versions of registered fingerprints. Then restart phone. Now you can register new fingerprints and associate them with a new alternative password. Now Go To Settings>Device>Lock Screen and select Fingerprint lock.

This worked for me. There is NO NEED to do a FACTORY HARD RESET!

The defect of the fingerprint scanner is that dust and oils accumulate on the screen and eventually the image of the fingerprint is altered.

Its best to use a PIN number which never changes.

In the meantime:
    To get rid of registered fingerprints: Go to Settings / Quick Settings / Finger Scanner / Fingerprint Manager. Then go to Menu in the upper right and click, Deregister." Then tap the selected finger print and then tap the delete icon in the upper right.

How to change the password thru google device manager