Fingerprint scanner and alternate password stopped working

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I love my S5. Have been using the fingerprint scanner to unlock without a problem since day 1.

Today, it wouldn't recognize my prints at all.

I went in to try to re-register them, and it won't allow me to. It asks for my alternate password, and doesn't recognize it. I know I'm typing in the correct password.

If I click on change alternate password, it accepts it, and asks me to type in a new password (twice). Upon the second time, an error message pops up saying there is an issue with the scanner and to restart the device, which I've now done three times.

Any suggestions? For now, I was able to change to pattern unlock.

Screenshot_2014-06-01-10-58-15.jpg

Posted via Android Central App

mobilecrackers

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I love my S5. Have been using the fingerprint scanner to unlock without a problem since day 1.

I went in to try to re-register them, and it won't allow me to. It asks for my alternate password, and doesn't recognize it. I know I'm typing in the correct password.

If I click on change alternate password, it accepts it, and asks me to type in a new password (twice). Upon the second time, an error message pops up saying there is an issue with the scanner and to restart the device, which I've now done three times.

View attachment 121019

its definitely a software issue
give a factory reset

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

TenorioSLP

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I remember using private mode just a few days ago and it worked. Today private mode and fingerprint scanner do not work. I tried the solution about ADM with no success.

View attachment 121019

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I remember using private mode just a few days ago and it worked. Today private mode and fingerprint scanner do not work. I tried the solution about ADM with no success.

Also tried ADM. It changes your unlock mode to password, but I still cannot unregister my fingerprints. It seems as if both my fingerprint files and my alternate password files are corrupt.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Not what you want, but a total Factory Reset will get you back working again.

That I realize.... I was hoping that there was something else I could do. Have not tried clearing cache in the recovery menu. Guessing that won't do anything.
Really don't want to factory reset after spending a month with the phone to start all over.

E Stu

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't believe this happened to me too.. I have been using the phone for a month exactly.. Samsung should fix this. I know im putting the alternate password right and then i get the same error message. Now i will attempt factory reset.

CrazyChazz

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The easiest way to fix this is to: 1. Reset the password using the Google Device Manager (if you have registered) or 2. Enter the password at least 5 times but less than 10. (You may have a setting checked to erase all data with 10 wrong passwords.) After 5 passwords hit cancel and the phone will give you an option to unlock with your gmail account.

STOP! Once you have access Go To: Settings>Personal>Fingerprint and delete all versions of registered fingerprints. Then restart phone. Now you can register new fingerprints and associate them with a new alternative password. Now Go To Settings>Device>Lock Screen and select Fingerprint lock.

This worked for me. There is NO NEED to do a FACTORY HARD RESET!

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
The defect of the fingerprint scanner is that dust and oils accumulate on the screen and eventually the image of the fingerprint is altered.

Its best to use a PIN number which never changes.

In the meantime:
To get rid of registered fingerprints: Go to Settings / Quick Settings / Finger Scanner / Fingerprint Manager. Then go to Menu in the upper right and click, Deregister." Then tap the selected finger print and then tap the delete icon in the upper right.

Alejandra P

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
it happened to me i tried the 3 options when the last time i tried for alternative password it got stuck there i went to change my password and tried it and its not working its locked

call4repair

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I got mine working again by thoroughly cleaning it.
also Nok Nok (app for fingerprint link on s5) has had a recent update and was having issues with the version before the current one.

confused4321

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem except 1 thing is I can use the backup password to enter the phone from lock screen but when I go to fingerprint settings it say wrong back up password????

ccryan2003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I've been locked out of my new Note 5 since yesterday morning. After one month it doesn't recognize my thumbprint and asks for my password.
I tried using my gmail password and it says it's wrong, but I know it's NOT???? I went online and googled the problem. A website came up asking for your phone number and email address and had a 1-800 phone number. It said not to leave this page, I would be receiving a phone call from that 1-800 number with help on my situation. They called within 5 minutes. When I explained the problem, they said they would have to transfer me to the technology department but they would have to charge a fee.j When I asked what kind of fee, they said $100...... I immediately hung up.
I'm thinking there's some kind of scam going on here where our phones have been hacked and they've blocked our fingerprint access and changed our passwords?!?!?!!!!!

Bobby Heidel

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been locked out of my new Note 5 since yesterday morning. After one month it doesn't recognize my thumbprint and asks for my password.
I tried using my gmail password and it says it's wrong, but I know it's NOT???? I went online and googled the problem. A website came up asking for your phone number and email address and had a 1-800 phone number. It said not to leave this page, I would be receiving a phone call from that 1-800 number with help on my situation. They called within 5 minutes. When I explained the problem, they said they would have to transfer me to the technology department but they would have to charge a fee.j When I asked what kind of fee, they said $100...... I immediately hung up.
I'm thinking there's some kind of scam going on here where our phones have been hacked and they've blocked our fingerprint access and changed our passwords?!?!?!!!!!

You could be on to something there. I have had mine for about a month now and started noticing things like that. I just thought it was just hardware things like my wireless charging not working, but to do hack the data, they would need to break into the OS software unless of course it is intentionally separated for security purposes, in which there is still probably a was to bypass that to connct to the desired data . I don't know.... There seems to have been issues with other previous new phone releases too. I guess it takes about a month for them to hack it. Maybe the dates for new versions of the OS release for the new phones coincide with it taking about a month for hackers to break through....

Last edited:

Marlo2

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
guys,I had the exact same problem with my Galaxy Note 5.it suddenly refused to recognise my fingerprints,then asked me to enter password that I couldn't remember and finally asked me to login via google,but failed to accept my CORRECT google password.

here is the solution :
just unlock it via findmymobile.samsung.com
you either need to already have an account there or just setup one.
you can simply unlock it via this service.

Pedroo77

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here!!!

This option (findmymobile.samsung.com/) will work only if you have set up the phone before it was locked! It is not my case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore Rebecca