Gmail swipe delete/archive

Billy Glen Jr

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
When I am using my Gmail app, the "swipe" to delete or archive is only giving me the option to archive when swiping both left and right.

When I first started using the Gmail app I distinctly remember being able to swipe one way to delete, and the opposite to archive.

But I'm only able to archive either way now????

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't recall being able to do separate things by swiping one way or the other. You can change swiping does by opening Gmail, swiping in from the left, scrolling down to the Settings, then General Settings, then Archive & Delete Actions. If you set that to Show Delete Only, then swiping will delete. If you set it to Show Archive Only OR Show Archive & Delete, swiping will only archive.

Billy Glen Jr

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't recall being able to do separate things by swiping one way or the other. You can change swiping does by opening Gmail, swiping in from the left, scrolling down to the Settings, then General Settings, then Archive & Delete Actions. If you set that to Show Delete Only, then swiping will delete. If you set it to Show Archive Only OR Show Archive & Delete, swiping will only archive.
Thanks B. Diddy for the welcome!
I changed my settings and chose to delete, rather than archive per your instructions. I could have swore I was doing both when I first set up Gmail but delete either way was probably going on in reality. Thanks a lot for the help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

spinizzotto

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy for the welcome!
I changed my settings and chose to delete, rather than archive per your instructions. I could have swore I was doing both when I first set up Gmail but delete either way was probably going on in reality. Thanks a lot for the help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No you are correct. Swipe left would archive, swipe right would delete. I seem to remember there was something in settings that allowed you to choose which way you wanted to do each task. So you could choose right or left to delete and the other way to archive. I like having a choice better...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana