Does Anybody Actually Use The Figerprint Security Feature?

Do Use The Fingerprint Scanner Feature?

• Total voters

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I like the feature. I've only had to use the password once when my fingers weren't quite dry. It is the first phone I've had that the kids won't touch because they know they can't get it to play. :D

rustum

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
It is working fine for me. Only problem is with scanning in one handed use. You can also scan in reverse direction. I turn menu button to top and swipe in one handed use. It is easy swipe that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I admit that it's not perfect, but it works for me within three quick swipes. It has only required my backup password (which I prefer to a simple PIN) three times. I will continue to use it for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
With a little practice its pretty easy. I Had put up a video a few weeks ago showing how I do it and nine times out of ten it worked very well.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I got it to work well enough but in the end i've taken off al security as it's just kind of annoying and I want to get into my phone as quickly as possible while still having a lock screen. I just have the swipe now, but i've also used the PIN and the pattern lock. I just cba. but the scanner worked well enough for me

EngineerWilly

May 3, 2014
Visit site
If you are using the S5 for games and phone, then roll on. If you have anything that you want to keep private, and you don't use some passwording (fingerprint is great) your village is missing it *****....

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've tried it and it works but I don't like locking 🔒 my phones in case I can't unlock them 🔓

With android device manager I'm pretty sure you can remotely (from a computer) change your phone's security settings and create a new password if you accidentally lock yourself out.

EDIT: just tested it out, you can.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I used it for a little while after I first got the phone. It worked really well for the most part but I gave it up eventually. It wasn't an issue with the fingerprint scanner specifically, I just don't use any security because I like to get into my phone more quickly. As someone else said, my phone is on my person 97% of the time anyway.

First, I'm not really concerned about Security.

Which is why there is such a great market for stolen phones--you not only get the phone, you get access to key accounts and you can steal someone's identity. ;) But seriously--in some places there are actually criminal rings who steal the phones not to use as phones but to download all personal info. Once you're in the phone, you can, for example, changes someone's passwords on all other accounts saved on the phone. You can defeat two-step verification. It's a Big Deal.

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I luv it. I registered both thumbs using the horizontal method. For the third fingerprint I used both thumbs equally so that I now have 1.5 slots registered to each thumb. This seems to be very accurate for me, and I can unlock it with either hand.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Had a coworker bragging about how cool his fingerprint scanner on his s5 till I opened it using my thumb print! Shut him up pretty quick!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time since I got this phone.

No problems whatsoever and is faster then typing a password.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

Parham Goudarzi

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I use it and it works 90% of times in the first try.
But, it's somehow hard to directly swipe your finger vertically to open it up, If it was more like the 5s, it would be great! But, overall it's a pretty good option!

Bryan Nayrb

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have had the s5 for around 4-6 weeks (unsure). I've tried to use this several times and it's about impossible to get consistancy.

I will admit a few things however to be fair (because I want it to be flawless also).

1) I do not know how to use a horizontal swipe setup, but the vertical is very difficult [for me].
2) The vertical is no problem with over 90% 1st swipe success for my sister (5'2, small hands)
3) I am large, 6'3 270 with big fingers. I found the index is much easier to use than thumb [for accuracy] but often bounce from 80% 1/2nd swipe to nothing.

I had originally hoped, similar to the heart mointor thing, you could simply hold your finger somewhere but I guess that's a bit too much to ask for (real biometrics). I am new to smartphones and I'm amazed at what this thing can do so I guess I thought it might do that too lol

I don't lock my phone because passwords are annoying to enter a lot (low timeout for battery) and pins are way too easy to guess with time if someone wanted in. I want it to work, and when it does it's really cool and quick. I will have to investigate this horizontal method but also hope they keep improving it.

I believe it's merely my large[r] hand/fingers that are the issue. I found a few offsets that brought on a 7/10ish < 4 swipe success but this is time consuming and in times of quick need to reply to someone in text (say your lady) it can be frustrating when it don't work.

I would not call it straight up crap, but I do think it can be tricky using vertical if you have larger hands and fingers. I will keep messing with it here and there because I love the idea.