Which do you prefer SG3 SG4 OR SG5 ?

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I had an S4 and was very happy with it. It was my first smartphone. With the exception of the battery drain it was great. Upgrading to the S5 was a pleasure and with the increased battery life I like it even more. I use this device very very heavily as I did the S4. It was well worth the upgrade. If you choose to go with the S5 you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It is possible to use Voice and Data services at the same time on certain networks.

If you're on Verizon or Sprint, it isn't possible. This is because of the network technology they use; CDMA. You can, however, use the internet and Voice service at the same time if you're using WiFi

If you have AT&T or T-Mobile, you can use Voice and Data service simultaneously. This is because they use GSM, which supports simultaneous Voice and Data.
Thank you for clearing that up for me, Unfortunatly I am on Sprint

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the S3 and I have the S5. The S3 is actually much more comfortable to use. Of course the specs on the S5 blow the S3 out of the water in every possible way. If you could put the hardware of the S5 into the body of the S3 you would have achieved perfection.

I guess what I am saying is that the slight increase in screen size is not worth the tradeoff of comfort in the hand. Of course everybody has different sized hands so my opinion might not be relevant to the person reading this.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It is possible to use Voice and Data services at the same time on certain networks.

If you're on Verizon or Sprint, it isn't possible. This is because of the network technology they use; CDMA. You can, however, use the internet and Voice service at the same time if you're using WiFi.

If you have AT&T or T-Mobile, you can use Voice and Data service simultaneously. This is because they use GSM, which supports simultaneous Voice and Data.

I'm not sure where you got you're information but that is not at all true about Verizon. I literally just now placed a call on my Verizon S5 (wifi off) and surfed the web at the same time.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure where you got you're information but that is not at all true about Verizon. I literally just now placed a call on my Verizon S5 (wifi off) and surfed the web at the same time.

Sorry. I meant that the S5, like most phones, can't do SV-DO, (Simultaneous Voice and 3G) but it can do SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE).

The reason it can't do SV-DO on Verizon and Sprint is because of how CDMA works. CDMA 3G was initially only built to handle data, not voice. LTE was also built with only data in-mind. So without SVLTE, you can't use data, (without an extra radio) or in other words, if you have no LTE, you can't use Voice and Data simultaneously on Verizon.

I will update my original post.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. I meant that the S5, like most phones, can't do SV-DO, (Simultaneous Voice and 3G) but it can do SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE).

The reason it can't do SV-DO on Verizon and Sprint is because of how CDMA works. CDMA 3G was initially only built to handle data, not voice. LTE was also built with only data in-mind. So without SVLTE, you can't use data, (without an extra radio) or in other words, if you have no LTE, you can't use Voice and Data simultaneously on Verizon.

I gotcha. I have good 4G coverage at my house, didn't test it on 3G.

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

So as long as I have LTE and/or 4G I will have data and voice?

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

If you're on Sprint, you can't at this time. If you're on Verizon, you can, as long as you have an LTE connection. The S5, like most phones, can't do SV-DO, (Simultaneous Voice and 3G) but it can do SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE).

On Sprint, it simply isn't possible at this time. Spark devices only have single radio functionality, which allows for efficient Multi-Band use. Once VoLTE is implemented, however, you should be able to use simultaneous Voice and Data, as long as you have an LTE connection and as long as Sprint decides to update the S5 for VoLTE. Until then, you can use WiFi if you need Voice and Data at the same time.

Gotta love good ole Sprint !

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly if I didn't have the 'free' Tab 3 7.0 LTE, this voice and data thing might have bugged me. But the tablet is just phenomenal for this stuff despite being slower than the phone on paper. Plus you know, phone on the shoulder and tablet in the hands...

If you gotta go Galaxy I would say in this order...Note 3, S5, Mega, S4....ignore the Mini models and who knows what the Note 4 will be like. S5 front camera is goofy. M8 is blah and I hate the stock UI. No G Pro 2, so for LG it is between G3-Flex-G2 in that rough order. Stay off Kyocera, nearly everything after thei Echo has been garbage sadly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87