Note 5 user- note 8 or 9..

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok, as the title says, I'm stumped on which to go with. Here's my situation.

I have a note 5, which I have previously posted about on here. I've had it since launch (~3 yrs) and the battery is finally shot. Not surprised, but the issue is I can't find a quality battery. Tried replacing it multiple times, no good. I'm back with the original Battery now. It's super inconsistent, regardless I charge it anywhere from 3-10 times a day.

That combined with the camera failing 3 times, and I'm ready to upgrade. No reason to keep sinking money in this thing.

I have three phones in consideration:

Used LG V30

Used Note 8

New Note 9

V30 because it's cheap used on swappa (~$350), I like the wide angle camera a lot, good display, good size, etc. I've also heard from the grapevine that Battery life is good.

Note 8 because it's a note (I'd hate to lose the s pen, have really enjoyed it on the n5), and again, I can get a good used one for ~$450.

Note 9 because - well that's obvious. Price is the only deal here.

It's a tough choice that at the end of the day is up to me- but I wanted to hear you guy's input on:

Experience buying through Swappa

Note 8 long term experience, battery life, problems, etc.

I've repaired ~5,000 phones in the past, so if something like say, a charging port failed on the used device, that's no problem. I'm just scared of a motherboard failure rendering my $450 purchase useless. Which I understand can happen to any phone. Hence why I am curious of note 8 potential issues.

Note 9 is obviously going to be more expensive- but with promos it could be tempting.

My biggest issue with the note 9, go ahead and flame me for it, is color. Mind bending that Samsung only offers blue and purple in the US, even though they will probably drop other colors in a few months. The blue is pretty, but I've had a blue s3, a blue s4, a blue note 5... I'm just tired of blue phones. I'd rather black or copper.

Lay it on me. Should I dodge the used note 8 market and go for the 9? Is it worth more than *twice* the money? Any known note 8 problems? Any of these phones would be a modest upgrade from the note 5, IMO, but I want to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I still have the Note8 due to the down payment of the Note9. I have no complaints with it. It's nice to have the latest and greatest. But, as each day passes, I am not really regretting not upgrading. It worth twice the price? No way. Since you mentioned that price, the Note9 is probably not the phone for you.

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I still have the Note8 due to the down payment of the Note9. I have no complaints with it. It's nice to have the latest and greatest. But, as each day passes, I am not really regretting not upgrading. It worth twice the price? No way. Since you mentioned that price, the Note9 is probably not the phone for you.
Good to hear. It's not that I can't spend the money on the 9, it's just that I want it to be $1000+ well spent. And by that I mean the phone operate properly. My note 5 was I guess, ~$900 and I was pretty upset that I was having battery/screen/charging port issues less than 3 months into owning it. Samsung was no help fixing it. At&t had to issue me a refurbished phone. I hate to buy another Samsung product but the s pen really sells it to me.

So it really is a gamble. Save $4-500, phone may work flawlessly for years. Or it could completely fail in 3 months. I know there is absolutely no way to predict this, but, if I knew a used note 8 would give me 2+ years of quality service, I would buy today

Or, buy a new note 9, add insurance, roll with it, and not worry about being out of pocket if it fails.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using my Note 8. It runs as well as it did when I bought in October 2017. I've had no issues and don't see a real reason to upgrade. Of course I want the Note 9 and I will probably get one when the price is right. For now, I'll be patient and continue to enjoy the Note 8.

It really comes down to money. Even if you have the cash, it's still a matter of being worth it to you. I think if I was coming from the Note 5, I would probably go ahead and make the leap to the 9. I'd still wait for the right deal though. I don't like paying full price for anything especially something that drops in value so quickly.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I went from the Note 5 to 8 exactly one year ago. Usually keep my phones two years. Receive very lucrative incentives from Verizon. After one year, the Note 8 is performing flawlessly. Go with whichever phone you can afford. Being this is a Note 8 sub forum, I'll clue you into something. I personally tried the 9 vs the 8 over a period of days and all the stuff you're hearing about the 9 being a great phone is true. And... all the stuff you're hearing about the 9 putting the 8 to shame is pure b.s. Pure Kool Aid! The battery on the 9 is larger... a plus! Displays virtually the same. Processing speed... virtually the same, the 8 a blink of an eye... slower. Can't even notice it. Storage... I've got so much extra storage with SD card, all business, didn't notice a difference. Unless you're loading up huge videos, movies... the 512gb brag rights are just that... bragging rights. Speakers on 9 are better than 8 but the 8 works fine as I have external speakers all over the place in every venue. What else? It's their money but the constant jumpers going from S9+ and Note 8 after a short time to the Note 9... bragging rights! With all that said... if I didn't have the Note 8 and had the Note 5, I'd buy the Note 9. However, if I didn't have the money and could get the Note 8 for say $350 -$400 and the phone was MINT, I'd get the 8. Just telling it like it is.. no Kool Aid... just drinking good whiskey! Good luck!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I went from the Note 5 to 8 exactly one year ago. Usually keep my phones two years. Receive very lucrative incentives from Verizon. After one year, the Note 8 is performing flawlessly. Go with whichever phone you can afford. Being this is a Note 8 sub forum, I'll clue you into something. I personally tried the 9 vs the 8 over a period of days and all the stuff you're hearing about the 9 being a great phone is true. And... all the stuff you're hearing about the 9 putting the 8 to shame is pure b.s. Pure Kool Aid! The battery on the 9 is larger... a plus! Displays virtually the same. Processing speed... virtually the same, the 8 a blink of an eye... slower. Can't even notice it. Storage... I've got so much extra storage with SD card, all business, didn't notice a difference. Unless you're loading up huge videos, movies... the 512gb brag rights are just that... bragging rights. Speakers on 9 are better than 8 but the 8 works fine as I have external speakers all over the place in every venue. What else? It's their money but the constant jumpers going from S9+ and Note 8 after a short time to the Note 9... bragging rights! With all that said... if I didn't have the Note 8 and had the Note 5, I'd buy the Note 9. However, if I didn't have the money and could get the Note 8 for say $350 -$400 and the phone was MINT, I'd get the 8. Just telling it like it is.. no Kool Aid... just drinking good whiskey! Good luck!
Exactly this. You said it all way better than I did.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
i have used a note 5 for over 30mo's... great device. I wanted to upgrade to the 9 though I also didn't want old technology since there'll be the under screen fingerprint... glad I future proofed. it's great.