Android automatic backup ?

Viper09

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have an iPhone right now, but I want to get a Samsung Galaxy S5 soon. The only reason I bought an iPhone was to have an iPod (all my music where on itunes) and a phone in the same device and at the time Android was not what it is right now with Kitkat.

But now, I'm a member of Google Play Music, so I don't need an iPhone anymore and the Galaxy S5 is more powerfull than the 5S for almost the same price. The only thing I want to know, do Android a sort of iCloud ? Like when I'm charging my iPhone and his connected to my Wi-Fi iCloud is doing an automatic backup of my contacts, texts, calendar etc. So if I lose or break my phone my data are not lost.

If Android have a kind of "icloud backup", it is the perfect mobile OS.

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, it does! I believe you can tweak the backups to your liking, but at least in Android, if you set it up that way, stuff like your contacts, e-mails, texts, calendars, etc. are automatically backed up the moment you make a change. I can't tell you what a bliss this is when changing phones (be it because you lost/broke yours or because you just got a new toy to play with). Just punch in your credentials and voilá! Let things sync and all your contacts, settings, and calendar information is readily downloaded. You can even let it re-download all your apps, but I tend to skip this step personally, as I like to see which apps I just don't use anymore.

With the S5, you also have an option to backup with Samsung's own cloud service. Can't hurt to have things safe in two places, right? ;)

Viper09

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
First, thanks for the fast reply.

Just to be sure, you're not talking about Samsung Kies ? Because I want something that I doesn't need to plug my device a PC or something like that, really a cloud backup of the my contacts, calendar etc.

Is that possible with some Google service ?

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that is possible with Google AND Samsung (you can use both, just one, or neither). Samsung has its own Cloud service, and yes, though it is heavily tied to Kies, you can use it without it (I haven't installed Kies on my computer since the S2). But I personally prefer Google's because, if I ever decide to use a device outside of Samsung's "Galaxy", it's much easier to transport my data into it.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I switch phones frequently and because of that I have all my data in various Google services. Because Google services work across several platforms and are generally available with an internet connection, I can access my information from just about anywhere and from just about any device with an internet connection. With Gmail - email, contacts and calendar are stored and can be synced with mobile devices. Google+ has auto-backup of photos and video. Picasa (a Google computer based photo program) offers web syncing to Web Albums which in turn sync to Google+. Google Keep for notes and Google Drive for any files. Google Play maintains a running list of all apps obtained through the store on your Gmail account and can easily be restored on any device when switching. Music from iTunes can be stored in Google Music and accessed through mobile devices either through streaming or can be pinned (cached) locally for offline listening. All of this is done wirelessly through over the air syncing with Google. On Android phones, sign in with your Google account and you have access to all of this. If you are using iOS services now for music, contacts and calendar, they are easily transferred over to Google. I use a Mac and have had many iPhones, but maintain all my information as described here.

Micoolef

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Android uses you Google Account for most things. Your contacts are the same as the contacts you see when you log into gmail, which is where any new entries are backed up. Things like calendar entries and notes / tasks are backed up aswell assuming you link your gmail account with the app you are using for these.

It really is convenient provides a safety net should anything happen to your device. It even backs up app data and photos if you have the right systems and settings in place!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk