Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone change their Runtime?

Has anyone gone into Developer Options and ch angel their Runtime System to ART yet?

After reading all about Android L, I'm curious if switching to ART might change anything on our S5's.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone change their Runtime?

I did once, about a month ago. Everything crashed. My phone was basically unusable. Some people have done it with no problems, but not me. I guess it has to do with everyone's specific set up.

Boom! From My S5
    ~~ You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

When I first got the phone, it seemed to run a bit faster and have a better battery life with ART. A couple firmware updates and many app updates later, the phone runs quite smoothly on Dalvik and I notice no difference with ART. ART also seems to cause problems with the camera app (among others) and won't let you do firmware updates. That being said, switching back and forth between the two is a nice way to reconfigure your apps if anything is causing strange behavior without a factory reset (for example, it fixed my problem with the phone dialpad not working with menus.)

Quote Originally Posted by chefmorry View Post
    Has anyone gone into Developer Options and ch angel their Runtime System to ART yet?

After reading all about Android L, I'm curious if switching to ART might change anything on our S5's.

Posted via Android Central App

I tried and it was a no go for me. Some people report that they are running ART with no issue(s). Good for them, but for some it's not quite prime time.

I guess my feeling is "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Plus when we're upgraded to Android L we'll get ART anyway. Hopefully by then all the kinks will be worked out.
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC

I don't even know what it is but only changed it out of boredom and curiosity. LOL

Battery and Performance definitely improved with no issues whatsoever. I have the Bell SM-G900W8.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)