Ghost in my S5

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I've playing with a "widget" (Active Apps) that is stock on the S5. It, works for the most part but when I check it on occasion it shows apps that it says are active but I know I haven't used the app in days maybe even weeks. Anyone use this "widget"? Any feedback is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Wow .... great read. Thanks for the information. Ok, the ghost is gone or at least there is an explanation for why he's there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I still do NOT agree with the above.

I use a manual task killer and can easily show that it does work, and works very well.

The S5 when left alone will use the battery in the course of a day, or the 2nd day.
Manually killing WIFI and DATA and closing all tasks will easily get as much as 4 or 5 days from a single charge.

The above is talking about Automatic Task Killers, and I agree that they WILL create a viscious cycle of apps being killed off and then restarting.

But, if you are not a Notification Nut, and don't care about the Social Apps, turn everything OFF and when you need to read email, turn on WIFI or DATA which ever you need.

For me, Battery Doctor is excellent in this manual use. I do not allow it to run Automatically. It is set for Manual Custom Mode.

I have used Battery Doctor for over 2 years on my Samsung S which only has about 285 mB of free RAM.
On that phone, I had to charge the battery 3 or 4 times a day.
After installing Battery Doctor, that phone would give me 2 or 3 days of use between charges.

You have to use some intelligence to decide how the phone is going to work "for you".

YMMV with task killers, but if used properly, they can and will improve battery life.

There are no social apps on my phone, period. Email is not allowed to sync, ever. When I want to read email, I turn on data and download the day's load in about 3 seconds. That is fast enough for me.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I still do NOT agree with the above.

I use a manual task killer and can easily show that it does work, and works very well.

The S5 when left alone will use the battery in the course of a day, or the 2nd day.
Manually killing WIFI and DATA and closing all tasks will easily get as much as 4 or 5 days from a single charge.

The above is talking about Automatic Task Killers, and I agree that they WILL create a viscious cycle of apps being killed off and then restarting.

But, if you are not a Notification Nut, and don't care about the Social Apps, turn everything OFF and when you need to read email, turn on WIFI or DATA which ever you need.

For me, Battery Doctor is excellent in this manual use. I do not allow it to run Automatically. It is set for Manual Custom Mode.

I have used Battery Doctor for over 2 years on my Samsung S which only has about 285 mB of free RAM.
On that phone, I had to charge the battery 3 or 4 times a day.
After installing Battery Doctor, that phone would give me 2 or 3 days of use between charges.

You have to use some intelligence to decide how the phone is going to work "for you".

YMMV with task killers, but if used properly, they can and will improve battery life.

There are no social apps on my phone, period. Email is not allowed to sync, ever. When I want to read email, I turn on data and download the day's load in about 3 seconds. That is fast enough for me.

Turning off data isn't killing a task. It's turning off a feature that is second only to the display when it comes to battery drain. Turning off data will drastically improve battery life, but the point being made above was that killing apps or clearing RAM is what's detrimental to battery life.

That being said, there are some benefits to using task killers, like for killing apps that you KNOW cause severe battery drain when on.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2