Slow Transfer Issue with Galaxy S5 Micro SD Card

smilies34

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys, I had a 32GB in my S5, with about 4,000 songs on it. I have upgraded my SD to a 64GB Samsung XC1. I Have tried 4 times to transfer the data from the 32 to the 64, and almost got to the end of the 19 hour process and it stopped and didn't transfer any of it - I have tried it several times over 4 days! Sometimes it has transfered some. It's a pain in the "achem". Can someone please advise me as I shall be bald from tearing my hair out. I won't be very happy if Google puts restrictions on these things as you can imagine how long this took originally on my PC and unfortunately, my PC hard drive is faulty and thus I have lost all my music on that :( and only have my 32GB SD card, and my I pod.

Please help, any advice would be very much appreciated 😚

Smiles

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I just did this, I dragged the files onto my pc and then dragged them onto the new card, took about an hour.

kstah

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
That's probably why. It sounds like it's timing out with the amount of data being transferred. Try doing the suggestions above. Try transferring parts at a time (maybe 1/3 at a time) directly to a folder on your PC and than from your PC transfer it over to the new SD card.

smilies34

May 24, 2014
Visit site
That's probably why. It sounds like it's timing out with the amount of data being transferred. Try doing the suggestions above. Try transferring parts at a time (maybe 1/3 at a time) directly to a folder on your PC and than from your PC transfer it over to the new SD card.

Thanks, I will try this ☺ - wish me luck! 😊

Smiles

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same issue. As most have said try transferring a chunk of songs at a time. I was able to do 300 songs each time with no problem.

Posted via Android Central App

smilies34

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I haven't managed to make a start yet, as I have to borrow someone's pc first, although my hard drive is broken, and I pretty much do everything I need to on my phone, it is one of those situations where you shouldn't rely 100% on any technology, else you end up at the mercy of one technology provider and that could cost you dearly, I read somewhere that you could upload and then down via Google Play, but that because Google want you to buy cloud from them not to keep on a storage card, isn't financial sense to Google. This was one of the reasons why I would never go for an iPhone, apart from the extortionate cost of them, when another old PC packed up, I lost all of my tunes stored on my iPod and my back up discs were not up to date. Finally I managed to find a programme that ripped the tunes from my iPod and back into iTunes, but I had to go back in and reconfigure the settings tracks. All because Apple only allows PC to ipod sync only. This really put me off of Apple for life and I vowed never to return! I don't want Google to go the same way!

Smiles

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Uploading to Google Play isn't hard, but re-downloading them is a bit of a pain in my experience. Last time I tried, I had to download each track one at a time. Maybe things have changed, but last time I paid it a visit it hadn't.

But yes, transferring small chunks is typically the best way to do anything, especially when dealing with a mobile device. I would do incriments of 5GB or 10GB at absolute most. Remember a quad core in a phone and quad core in a computer are two totally different things.

Brian Davies3

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Transferring files from my Samsung Galaxy S5's external microSD card is also insanely slow!! I have my camera set to save to external card and when I come to transfer from that to PC it is a snail. I transferred from the external to the internal storage on the S5, which too was very slow, and then from that to the PC and it was really fast!!

The external microSD card is a Sandisk Ultra 16GB (Class 10), so there is definitely an issue with the way the phone deals with file transfers from the external card.

Shawn128

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I've had similar issues. It's not the slow speed getting me. It's my files nit being there when it's done or disappearing. I have a 128 gig scandisc SD card, and a galaxy s5. I'm trying to put over 60 gigs of music on it. If I try all of it as once it says 3 days. I tried a few folders and it worked. Tried s few more and they worked, or so I thought. My SD card storage said I had 20 gigs of music. 4 music players I tried all said I had different stuff. I un mounted my SD card and restarted my phone. I want from 20 gigs of music to 4 and most of my folders now empty. I've tried for 5 days to get my music on here because my I pod broke. All my music is in mp3 format stored on my computer not iTunes.

Can anyone help?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
On your PC, I do believe that you will be a lot happier if you will install a file manager called TerraCopy.

Unlike all the other version that hiccup totally and crash, loosing all of the stuff they "supposedly copied", TerraCopy updates the file directories on the fly as it goes.

when it hit a corrupted file, it stops, gives you a chance to decide what to do about it, you select an option like "Ignore all future issues" and then it goes on.

I highly recommend that you take their defaults and merge it into the Windows OS menus, and allow it to be the Default Copy program for "drag and drops".

Makes my life immensely easier.

https://codesector.com/teracopy

Quote from their webpage:

TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows

One of the most common complaints about newer versions of Windows is the slow copying speed, especially when transferring lots of files over the network. If you want to speed up your copying or if you regularly transfer large amounts of data and have to stop the process to perform some other disk-intensive task, this program may be just what you need.
TeraCopy is designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed. It skips bad files during the copying process, and then displays them at the end of the transfer so that you can see which ones need attention. TeraCopy can automatically check the copied files for errors by calculating their CRC checksum values. It also provides a lot more information about the files being copied than its Windows counterpart. TeraCopy integrates with Windows Explorer's right-click menu and can be set as the default copy handler.

Debbie Warren

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys, I had a 32GB in my S5, with about 4,000 songs on it. I have upgraded my SD to a 64GB Samsung XC1. I Have tried 4 times to transfer the data from the 32 to the 64, and almost got to the end of the 19 hour process and it stopped and didn't transfer any of it - I have tried it several times over 4 days! Sometimes it has transfered some. It's a pain in the "achem". Can someone please advise me as I shall be bald from tearing my hair out. I won't be very happy if Google puts restrictions on these things as you can imagine how long this took originally on my PC and unfortunately, my PC hard drive is faulty and thus I have lost all my music on that :( and only have my 32GB SD card, and my I pod.

Please help, any advice would be very much appreciated 😚

Smiles

I have the s5 and windows 7 pc and am trying to transfer my 30gb sd to a 128gb sd. So far it has been a 3 day process. First, i copied the 30gb card to my computer, then i formatted the 128gb sd and copied the 30gb to it at 2mb/sec. Many of the folders were empty and i couldn't transfer my apps to the sd card, so i did some research and did the following: converted the 128gb sd to fat32 using a downloaded converter program. Now i am copying the 30gb sd files to the 128gb sd again at 1.78 mb/sec. .two hours to go, then I'll check it on my phone again. .hopefully this will work? ?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez