Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S5/Verizon - When using phone speaker, sound quality is extremely poor

Good morning! I am having a real problem that is jeopardizing my ability to work from home. I have had my Galaxy S5 for only about 6 weeks. Whenever I use it for a conference call, those on the other end of the bridge complain that they can barely hear me or that my voice is too garbled for them to understand. I've tried using the speaker on the phone and also a Bluetooth Jawbone Jam Box and the result is equally poor.
    Help?!

Global Posts
    20,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S5/Verizon - When using phone speaker, sound quality is extremely poor

I think the first thing I would try is a Voice over IP app (VoIP), like GrooveIP. Once you get it set up, you are using your WiFi to transmit a call. This does use about 1.5 MB per minute.

I am suggesting this because if they can hear you using that, the fault is in the cell service. If it is still garbled, then it is the phone.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S5/Verizon - When using phone speaker, sound quality is extremely poor

I hope you've resolved your problem, but if not I think I may be able to help you - at least with the call quality when holding your phone up to your ear. I stumbled upon this fix quite by accident. I, too, had this muffled sound in the call quality and was at my wit's end. People on the other end were constantly complaining about my voice. I typically hold the phone up to my left ear. But I changed the phone to my right ear, and the call quality improved dramatically. I think it's because the microphone position changes when you have the phone to your right ear, and your voice projects differently. It's just a bad device design on Samsung's part. The microphone should be centered somewhere on the device. Please let me know if this helps you. I had no issues when using the speaker or an OLD Bluetooth headset.