Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you find the 16 GB storage a deal breaker?

So, right now I'm considering wether to get this phone or to get a LG G3. I hear that the G3 has battery and a bit of performance issues, and the S5 dose t seem to suffer this as much. But the 16gb only storage size is making me nervous on the S5. I really wish they had a 32gb model available. I only really ever bought 32gb devices, so I'm iffy going to a 16GB model. How much does the SD card help mitigate this issue? I only ever really download apps and games. All my music and video is done through streaming. On my nexus 7 I only have about 3 or 4GBs used. But I still like a bit of breathing room in storage. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Do you find the 16gbs storage a deal breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    So, right now I'm considering wether to get this phone or to get a LG G3. I hear that the G3 has battery and a bit of performance issues, and the S5 dose t seem to suffer this as much. But the 16gb only storage size is making me nervous on the S5. I really wish they had a 32gb model available. I only really ever bought 32gb devices, so I'm iffy going to a 16GB model. How much does the SD card help mitigate this issue? I only ever really download apps and games. All my music and video is done through streaming. On my nexus 7 I only have about 3 or 4GBs used. But I still like a bit of breathing room in storage. What do you guys think?
    that what i love about non apple devices you can always buy a sd card and put it in the phone for added storage.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by dipkid View Post
    that what i love about non apple devices you can always buy a sd card and put it in the phone for added storage.
    But you can't put apps or games on the SD card, and those are the most space intensive things.

But you can't put apps or games on the SD card, and those are the most space intensive things.
    That's why it would be a deal breaker for me. After all is said and done you only have 9.92 GB available on the s5 (verizon version at least).

Default Re: Do you find the 16 GB storage a deal breaker?

Out the box I had over 12gb after loading everything games, and so on I still have a little over 9gb and I am having zero issues. By the way I have a 64gb SD also.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts

I've got 2.88G free . I've had the phone since release . About 116 apps loaded on the phone .

Bloatware takes up a good chunk of space on the S5, but the fact that it can hold up to 128 GB definitely counters the 16 GB limit. Hope this helps.

I thought it would, but since I can put all my photos, videos, and music on a $20, 64 GB SD card, I've been just fine even with 100+ apps. I'll admit that I'm not a heavy gamer which I know can take up a lot of space.

16gb is not enough for me

Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

I have not put a SD Card in mine yet and the phone still has several gB of room left on it.

I take quite a few pictures, a few every day of things I happen to see that interest me. It is so easy to off load them to the PC that I can't feel the need for the SD card..... but, Best Buy had one of those 12 hour sales and someone on this forum posted about it. I bought a 64 gB and a 32 gB card with free shipping. Almost got the 32 gB card for "free" when you consider what the 64 gB card would have cost plus shipping.

Haven't opened either one of them up, maybe I will, maybe I won't. They won't get lost in the OEM packaging. and one day, at 03:30 in the morning I will get a hair brained idea and want the SD card.

I can't imagine downloading over a 100+ apps. What in the world would you do with that many? I have about 30 technical type apps and that is most likely how it will stay.

I admit to not playing games, no interest there for me at all. I am a retired electronics tech and tired of things that go beep in the night.

Don't get me wrong, I love the S5 because it can handle any thing that I ask it to do. Great little tiny PC it is, write up a document, make a spreadsheet, go surfing for the latest news on the "ISIS" group.... gulp! what a mess that bunch is..... hope it all stays "over there".

but, I cannot feature thinking that the S5 cannot do what you want and you would avoid it because the basic phone "only has 16 gB"...... put in one of those 128 gB cards and the world is your oyster.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON

It was a deal breaker for me. I patiently waited for the 32GB version, but gave up. I'm still using my S3 with 32GB, so to me it just seemed like a step backwards to get a 2 year newer device with half the on-board memory.

Not a problem for me, just got an 32gb card, root and I'm set.

I had the S5 for three months before breaking it beyond repair and replacing it with a 32gb G3. Do it. My GS5 was a 16gb and I could never keep it under 1 gb free space. As soon as the phone would get near only 500mb free it would become unbearable. I never found the culprit to why. I had most apps oh my SD (SanDisk extreme 32gb) and photos went straight to the SD as well. My G3 has the same battery life as far as I can tell. The cameras are both great but the 2k screen is amazing. I am glad I have the G3 now. Both great phones but for the size the G3 is it feels so much smaller in my hands. Due to that curved back and shape. The front camera on tho G3 blows the S5 out of the water if that's a concern. I have only had my G3 for 2 weeks and I'm already in love with it. That note 4 is pretty tempting though!

Not a deal breaker at all for me. I've had the phone since launch and still have almost 8 gb available. I put music on the SD card and automatically save pictures and videos there as well. Granted, I don't download huge apps/games.

I've had mine since launch and my Verizon s5 had 10.6 gb available. I also use a 32gb micro sd card and have rooted my phone and have moved any app that can be moved..... I have about a 100 apps and have a little under 7gb available... Oh yeah, no games on my phone..... Matt

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Did not know this.. No way around it?

It's hard and I really appreciated having 32GB on my note 3. However I will say that it's much better than the S4 which was quite impossible to manage. It helps that Google play movies and TV shows can now be stored on the SD card. I've got a 64GB micro SD card in my phone which helps out a lot.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.

it's not as deal breaker for me.

If you have only 3 or 4 GB used on your Nexus 7, what exactly are you worried about? If the 32 GB was available at launch, I would have considered it, but it turns out that it seems the only way to fill up 16 GB of storage without media (music, videos, pictures) is with several large games or a few very large games. I have ~200 apps with 4 GB still free on my internal storage because I keep my media on an SD card. (The only issue is that an SD card can potentially go bad, so all media should be backed up either to your computer or the cloud.)

is the assumption of the OP even true? I have seen youtube vids explaining how to do it. (can't post links, not enough posts.) maybe it depends on service/location?

actually you can put app and or games on the sd card. not all games or apps can be put on the sd card. I have about half of my game apps and non game apps on my sd card that i have inserted in my phone. Not sure if there's a place to look to see what apps for sure can be put on there. (it seems quite random to me what apps they allow or don't allow on the sd card.)

As long as you can incorporate a SDCard of at least 32 or 64GB, it's not a deal breaker at all. Until recently I was using a phone with 8GB of internal memory, but could support up to a 68GB SDCard.

I see that the Sony Xperia Z3v is coming to Verizon on October 23rd with 32GB on board storage and a 20.7 megapixel camera. I really wanted the S5 but didn't want to "downgrade" from my S3 that has 32GB storage. I admit to not being extremely savvy about all the other tech specs. Do any of you experts know if the Z3v has a better/worse processor or screen than the S5? My S3 is on its last leg, so I need to do something soon.

If you gonna have SD for media files, 16GB would be ok for apps only..

Quote Originally Posted by Davidoo1 View Post
    I see that the Sony Xperia Z3v is coming to Verizon on October 23rd with 32GB on board storage and a 20.7 megapixel camera. I really wanted the S5 but didn't want to "downgrade" from my S3 that has 32GB storage. I admit to not being extremely savvy about all the other tech specs. Do any of you experts know if the Z3v has a better/worse processor or screen than the S5? My S3 is on its last leg, so I need to do something soon.
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...ones/8202,8957

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active user
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast