Verizon NI2 update, any negative issues?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I am looking for negative issues that you might have noticed with the latest Verizon update.

Anything that might make me want to forgo this latest update.

I'm still holding on to 4.4.2 until I feel that every thing is rock solid with new updates.

This is the current update as of today that is being offered, it is NI2, not as some seem to call it, N12. 'N' 'eye' two, not N twelve.

Attachments

• NI2 upgrade now available.png
    NI2 upgrade now available.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 183

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I would bring this back up one more time and see if anyone has not seen this thread, and has had any problems with the NI2 update from Verizon?

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy with it . 4.4.4 messed up my BT . The latest update fixed it . Everything else is working great as far as I can tell .

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I feel like a doofus, but which update finally removed that Flipboard thingie? I actually was bored enough to go looking for it and it was gone. Obviously I didn't miss it, but I just don't when it went. I'm a little unsettled by it:confused:

anon(204002)

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The one negative I found is that I cannot have my 32 gig SD card in the phone any longer. Tried 2 different ones and the phone keeps crashing. After removing the card completely, I have no more issues. Just figured it out today, thought it was an app. Don't know if a different size 16, 64 will work.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies, I'm still waiting and watching for more folks to mention if they have had problems with NI2 on Verizon. Reference my 1st post (post #1)

Flipboard bloatware is still on the 4.4.2 version, I turned it OFF.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I feel like a doofus, but which update finally removed that Flipboard thingie? I actually was bored enough to go looking for it and it was gone. Obviously I didn't miss it, but I just don't when it went. I'm a little unsettled by it:confused:

I disabled flipboard long before this update and it still appears on my phone's disabled apps list.

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
No noticable battery drain, but now mobile data will not automatically switch off while using Wi-Fi. (Imagine that, Verizon. No wonder basic Visual Voicemail is now "free" with the update.) Mobile data can be turned off manually, but I prefer the convenience of automation I had before the update. (Cleared cache, rebooted to no avail.) I hope someone posts a solution soon.

Last edited:

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not using data while it's on wifi.... My little arrows under the wifi icon flashes as data is transmitted. If you turn off wifi the little arrows will flash now under the 4g symbol... I used to think the same thing..

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
No noticable battery drain, but now mobile data will not automatically switch off while using Wi-Fi. (Imagine that, Verizon. No wonder basic Visual Voicemail is now "free" with the update.) Mobile data can be turned off manually, but I prefer the convenience of automation I had before the update. (Cleared cache, rebooted to no avail.) I hope someone posts a solution soon.
No problems with the update at this point..
As the title says, I am looking for negative issues that you might have noticed with the latest Verizon update.

Anything that might make me want to forgo this latest update.

I'm still holding on to 4.4.2 until I feel that every thing is rock solid with new updates.

This is the current update as of today that is being offered, it is NI2, not as some seem to call it, N12. 'N' 'eye' two, not N twelve.

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
It's not using data while it's on wifi.... My little arrows under the wifi icon flashes as data is transmitted. If you turn off wifi the little arrows will flash now under the 4g symbol... I used to think the same thing..

4GLTE icon is lit with transmission arrows active while Wi-Fi icon is also lit with active arrows. (Before the update, 4GLTE icon was greyed out while Wi-Fi was active.)
Have you viewed your account to confirm there was no data usage while Wi-Fi was active? (I will do so and follow up.)

Posted via the Android Central App

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
4GLTE icon is lit with transmission arrows active while Wi-Fi icon is also lit with active arrows. (Before the update, 4GLTE icon was greyed out while Wi-Fi was active.)
Have you viewed your account to confirm there was no data usage while Wi-Fi was active? (I will do so and follow up.)

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah, I had the same thing in the day after the update. LTE transmission arrows were definately going while on Wi-Fi. However, I've been keeping an eye on it and haven't seen it do it since that first 24 hours.

One other issue is it no longer will speak the incoming caller. I loved that feature to know if I needed to pull the phone out of my pocket or not.

Also, the location bug it originally had seems to be back. This is where it is almost constantly trying to find location. This was resolved after one update, I can't remember which one. But now it's back for me.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I had the same thing in the day after the update. LTE transmission arrows were definately going while on Wi-Fi. However, I've been keeping an eye on it and haven't seen it do it since that first 24 hours.

One other issue is it no longer will speak the incoming caller. I loved that feature to know if I needed to pull the phone out of my pocket or not.

Also, the location bug it originally had seems to be back. This is where it is almost constantly trying to find location. This was resolved after one update, I can't remember which one. But now it's back for me.

Oh wonderful, glad I waited... I'm still on the old 4.4.2

However, even though I have Auto Updates turned OFF, every time I unlock the phone now (started today) Verizon insists that I must accept the new update. I can't cancel it, only reprogram it for a new time in the new 24 hours.

So, I just hit the Home Button and ignore it, then Close All Tasks. Good to go until I unlock the phone again. Arghhhh!!!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I am now very very pissed off...............

I have been refusing to let the NI2 update install.

Just now, while I was doing other stuff, the phone just rebooted and is now installing the update by brute force.

I am NOT happy about this at all.

I never allow updates to take place without making a new Kies 3.0 backup, make a Helium backup, and make a Nova Launcher backup............ all of those options were stolen from me and I am ticked off big time..................

If it weren't for the already known evil downside of stopping it, I would pull the battery on it right now........ but that will brick the phone as we have all read about.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, it is done.... sort of...... unlocked the screen and now it is on another upgrade path.

The battery took a pretty heavy hit doing that upgrade.

Battery was 74% and now it 66%

Everything on hold, it says "Please wait while we check your account information".
Oh goodie, no indicators telling me what is going on. Just a title at the top that says "Voice Mail"

I turned on my Blue Tooth headset to listen and no audio either.

don't you just love it when these developers do things w/o your permission, and then they don't let you know what is happening.

I noticed that the "preferred time" to set up an "appointment if you will" to have it install was at 0100 hours. guess they wanted you to be asleep so you didn't miss your phone for the next umpteen hours.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I had to abort the voice mail upgrade, it went for over 10 minutes and the screen locked.

WiFi is on, 4g is greyed out which is better than the complaints of a couple days ago when some folks were saying that 4g and WiFi is running at the same time.

I'm too tired to play with it, the rest will have to come with using it to discover what does, or does not work now.

I looked at Phone Info app, and it shows 4.4.4 and the NI2 OS installed now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma