Samsung Galaxy S9+ firmware update help

brnvs

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
I have Samsung S9+ Model SM-G965U CSC is VZW. Running Android 10.0, with current firmware at G965USQS8FTK4. I had a few issues so was interested in updating the firmware using Odin, but kept getting errors, or it would just stop at either the connection setup or initialization stage. I had the phone in download mode with USB debug on, so checked those off the list.

I read in another forum that you can't update the firmware past the current binary version- in mine listed above, it would be binary 8. I have been trying to update to what i believe is the latest firmware for this phone which is G965USQU9FVB2, so is it as simple as being unable to upgrade past the "8" version of the firmware?

I've used Odin a few times in the past successfully with other phones, but i'm by no means an expert. Appreciate any help or confirmation.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
You can update to version higher then yours thats considered a update but usually cant below .

Are you using latest version of Odin?
Where did you get the firmware from?
I suggest downloading Frija firmware tool from xda forums the latest version then put your model number and csc code VZW then hit search that would be latest version for your phone then download it to your computer

brnvs

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Mustang.

I was using a fresh download copy of Odin3_v3.14.4. Firmware was SM-G965U_VZW_G965USQU9FVB2 files, i downloaded copies from both samfw.com and sammobile.com. I did try 3 different cables and multiple USB ports with various success- sometimes got the "All threads completed (succeed 0 / fail 1) error, and other times it would just stop for over 5 minutes at either the connection setup stage or else the initialization stage. one single time it went further and then i got the fail message up top, but i don't have a log of what the error was. I was always running Odin in administrator mode, and had USB debugging enabled in developer settings. I also noticed the phone in download mode indicated FRP lock ON (though i read elsewhere that might not matter) so i took the extreme step of doing a factory reset, which turned FRP lock off but still gave me the same failures.

The only other thing i am thinking of trying is using a different computer to run Odin and try the update from.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Mustang.

I was using a fresh download copy of Odin3_v3.14.4. Firmware was SM-G965U_VZW_G965USQU9FVB2 files, i downloaded copies from both samfw.com and sammobile.com. I did try 3 different cables and multiple USB ports with various success- sometimes got the "All threads completed (succeed 0 / fail 1) error, and other times it would just stop for over 5 minutes at either the connection setup stage or else the initialization stage. one single time it went further and then i got the fail message up top, but i don't have a log of what the error was. I was always running Odin in administrator mode, and had USB debugging enabled in developer settings. I also noticed the phone in download mode indicated FRP lock ON (though i read elsewhere that might not matter) so i took the extreme step of doing a factory reset, which turned FRP lock off but still gave me the same failures.

The only other thing i am thinking of trying is using a different computer to run Odin and try the update from.

In download mode whats the firmware show there?
Because if you trying to load a firmware lower then what's on the device it won't let you

brnvs

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
In download mode i don't believe the firmware edition is displayed- mine indicates RPMB fuse blown, RPMB PROVISIONED, current binary, FRP Lock, KG Status, Qualcomm secure boot status, RP SWREV, Secure download, and a DID#.

On the "About Phone" page, the current firmware is UI version 2.5, Android version 10, Baseband version G965USQS8FTK4. Android security patch level December 1, 2020.

I believe the latest firmware for the SM-G965U is G965USQU9FVB2, which is later than what i have.

I also should mention in reply, that while i haven't used the Frija tool yet, i did find firmware by using "SamFirm_v0.5.0"

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In download mode i don't believe the firmware edition is displayed- mine indicates RPMB fuse blown, RPMB PROVISIONED, current binary, FRP Lock, KG Status, Qualcomm secure boot status, RP SWREV, Secure download, and a DID#.

On the "About Phone" page, the current firmware is UI version 2.5, Android version 10, Baseband version G965USQS8FTK4. Android security patch level December 1, 2020.

I believe the latest firmware for the SM-G965U is G965USQU9FVB2, which is later than what i have.

I also should mention in reply, that while i haven't used the Frija tool yet, i did find firmware by using "SamFirm_v0.5.0"
G965USQU9FVB2 this the latest I check through Frija, download Frija use that firmware see what happens

brnvs

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
This is the furthest i've gotten. I used Frija, noticed the files were exactly the same size as i had before but went ahead anyways. Had a few success 0 / fail 1 errors, but after trying different USB ports eventually got a different fail related to the device. Not sure what that one means....odin completewrite.JPG

complete(write) fail.

Attachments

• Odin.JPG
    Odin.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 11

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok
Now don't take offense , com in Odin top left show device connected? You are in download mode pressing volume up to next page?
Sorry but have to ask as im not there with you

brnvs

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
No offense taken. Yes i've got the download mode with the volume up to advance to the "download do not disconnect target device" page, on the phone, and Odin listed the phone as "added".

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok go to the firmware files highlight each one then right click go to properties at the bottom select unblock for each file like you see in my screenshot just to rule this out PXL_20220913_190502624.jpg

brnvs

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
Also yes, in Odin only auto reboot and F/reset are checked in the "options" menu.

One other thing perhaps worth mentioning based on what i read elsewhere. In Android developer options, i clicked on USB debugging so it's on, but i read elsewhere that "OEM unlock" should also be checked, but that option is nowhere in my developer option menu.

Also have latest Samsung USB driver installed, though i think that's already fine since Odin clearly shows the phone is connected.

I also tried using Droidkit, but that one has a different issue in that on the screen where they ask for the PDA (firmware), it doesn't seem to recognize mine to download the firmware.

brnvs

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
On my properties tab for each file there is nothing under "attributes". The security tab indicates each file has full access for "read, modify, read and execute, write" though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No need for OEM unlock or toggle usb debugging
When using stock Samsung firmware.

USB debug would be used in adb command and OEM unlock is not there because US bootloader are not unlocked and would need special way to do that .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
On my properties tab for each file there is nothing under "attributes". The security tab indicates each file has full access for "read, modify, read and execute, write" though.
Nothing like my screenshot to unlblock from another computer?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If these all check out

Im going ask would you like to get on the unlocked firmware, you need Odin patch B (prince Comsey) latest from xda site and model number add a 1 to end through Frija.

Where did you download the Odin u currently have?

brnvs

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
I got Odin from odindownloader.com.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant here:
"Im going ask would you like to get on the unlocked firmware, you need Odin patch B (prince Comsey) latest from xda site and model number add a 1 to end through Frija."

what is unlocked firmware, and what are pros and cons? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, just need more details...?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
SM-G965U and SM-G965U1 are 2 version of Samsung US.

SM-G965U- carrier version with carrier bloat

SM-G965U1- unlocked version without Carrier bloat and splash screen when restarting the device it will say Samsung not Verizon/TMobile etc..

You can always go back to carrier version if you want .

I would download Odin from xda forums and try that first , i never download from anywhere else and work all these years

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter