Wait for S6?

cr500taco

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded from the S4 to the S5 with Verizon, because I took advantage of getting a free Jetpack with the purchase. Of course after I purchased it, the leaks and rumors of the S6 start emerging. I like the S5, but I am wondering if I should return it and wait for the S6? I have a couple days left to return the S5. I do have another line, but won't be able to upgrade on that for another year.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
You are probably looking at a 6 month wait, assuming they do this just once every year.
There will ALWAYS be a newer, possibly better gadget 6 months away.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I think you should just keep the S5, regardless of what device you purchase, it will be out of date in about 6 days...

But, that "out of date" is really a matter of semantics because none of us will ever really agree on what is "more important" to "make better".

And consider that at the current technology level, it is getting extremely hard to make Significant Improvements in performance.

We have a hand full now of Flagship products to choose from, and none of them are "bad". They are just "different" in small ways of approaching the same problems/issues.

A digital camera will never be as good as a film camera when it comes to low light. As far as critical performance in daylight goes, digital cameras are getting very close to the same level of performance as most film cameras.

But for me, and I suspect for 99.995% of the folks "out there", the ability to snap 1,000 pictures and then delete all but the 50 best shots far outweighs any technical drawbacks of a digital camera versus a film camera. I can't afford film anyway, that is why I quit using my Nikon over a decade ago... it cost more to process and print the pictures than the film cost in the first place.

The difference in the Radio tx/rx capabilities is also extremely close. There is more difference between models of the same brand than there are between equivalent models of different brands when it comes to "loosing the signal" and dropping out a call.

The proposed S6 might be a geewhiz device, but nothing on it will vastly be an improvement over the S5.

Stay with your S5 and enjoy it... I just yesterday took my wife's S4 mini in and traded it up for another S5 to be added to our household.

I had ordered her the S4 mini because I could get it for $0.99 (yes, 99 cents) and let her try it for 14 days and find out if she would be able to transition over from her old flip phone. Well, she stumbled a lot, but she likes it pretty good. Especially being able to receive pictures from the kids.

Downside? not much, I got her the S5 for $98.01 upgrade from the S4 mini... Verizon treats their archived customers right.... been with them for 20 years now.

. oh, the differences between makes can just about be compensated for by choosing an appropriate application to give that feature to any new device.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The S6 will most likely have the snapdragon 810 which will be a monstrous upgrade from the current line of system on a chips so for anyone saying this will not be a worthy upgrade may think twice

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
That's a no win scenario....anytime a "gadget" is released, there are already plans in place to improve it as well as competition from other devices.

Samsung just put out the Note 4 and I'm still enjoying the "new car smell" of my s5. The moral of the story? Your device will only be the "latest and greatest" for about 6 months regardless of how long you wait buy or what version you get.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The S6 will most likely have the snapdragon 810 which will be a monstrous upgrade from the current line of system on a chips so for anyone saying this will not be a worthy upgrade may think twice

The newer models will be slightly faster yes, but as I mentioned in my post. At the current technology level it is extremely hard to make huge improvements over the previous model.

2.5 gHz versus the older 2.x gHz speeds are rather small in terms of percentage and the resultant "feel in the hands".

CPU speed alone is not the single most important issue, it is the combination of hardware and software design. There are always trade offs and all of the manufacturers have to make a decision as to what is the most important feature in their next new design.

today's cellphones compared to just 3 years ago are a tremendous improvement. But, my 3+ year old Galaxy S with only 267 kiloBytes of free RAM will still perform quite well. Just a LOT SLOWER than we are now used to. I keep that phone to be pressed back into service immediately just in case I have a need due to breakage or loss.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
They will also have very key element the nanometer size of the die will be 20 that is big in power management better battery life and far less heat 2 of the biggest complaints with mobile technology today

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty