How do I go about adding Memory to my GS5?

1BadAppl3

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Adding Memory to my GS5

So..........after 6+ years of having an Iphone, my GS5 will be here Tuesday. I purchased a Samsung 64gb microSDXC card and wanted to remove the stock 16gb card and install the 64gb card before i even boot up the phone for the first time.

Is there an issue with doing that, or do i have to perform some other ritual first?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,
Paul

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Adding Memory to my GS5

Welcome to Android Central! That should be fine. Just remember in the future that if you need to remove the card after you've started using it, go to Settings>Storage and Unmount the card first, then remove it. Unmounting the SD card is like Ejecting a USB flash drive from a Windows computer--it makes sure the device is no longer trying to write any data to the media, so that it doesn't get corrupted by removing it in the middle of a read-write cycle.

Also, be aware that the SD card is best used for storing media files. You can probably move portions of an app to the SD card, but you can't move an entire app to the SD card. This is a common misconception for people new to Android.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

The phone comes with 16gb internal memory so all you will have to do is insert your new sd card. The phone wont come with a sd card.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Some phones come with a microSD card. I recall my old Razr Maxx did. It might depend on the carrier, or the seller.

1BadAppl3

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Some phones come with a microSD card. I recall my old Razr Maxx did. It might depend on the carrier, or the seller.

I guess since I have a card ready to go, it doesn't matter if the phone comes with one or not.

Over the last few years, 16gb was enough for the Iphone, including pictures and videos, so I'm sure 64gb will be enough to get me through many years to come?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87