How do I enable search server in my default email app?

swordams

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Search server in default email app

How do I enable searching my email server in the default email client? I'd like to be able to search emails more than 5 days old without having to download hundred of emails to my phone.

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Search server in default email app

You can't do a search on the phone for what's not on the phone. To search on the server, the server has to have the code to allow the email app to ask it to search. I doubt that anyone has ever written an email server like that.

You can use the email server's web interface - that probably has more options than any email client on your phone. (What you do and how you do it depends on the email server and how it's been set up - some can do searches for all emails still in the account, some can only search the currently showing page, some search headers as well as bodies, etc., etc. You'd have to send an email to the administrator of whatever email service you're using - Google, Yahoo, your ISP, etc. for more information)

If you really need to be able to search through old emails, I'd suggest running Thunderbird on a PC. The search is pretty fast and you can specify folders and/or accounts to search. But you have to let it keep all your emails on the PC. (Agent (not free) can download headers only, not the whole email, so you can search subject, sender, date, etc., with less storage being used.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699